LOOKS CAN BE DECEPTIVE

Beware the Oleander shrub, popular in the P-O for its evergreen qualities and delicate flowers and planted in quantity to jazz up roadsides, and gardens.

This deceptively pretty, low-maintenance plant is poisonous to many animals, including dogs, cats, and horses, as well as humans. The level of poisoning depends on the particular plant, part of the plant, and amount consumed.

Symptoms appear within a few hours after ingestion and may include severe diarrhoea, abdominal pain, drooling, sweating and weakness. Cardiac irregularities and increased heart rate also are common.

Successful treatment depends on the amount ingested and the toxin can be fatal.

Share it!
  1. A very useful article – really don’t think I’d have given it a second glance if my dog had been paying it any attention had I not read this!

Leave a Comment