Velux Repairer

Have you used a local company or service in the P-O? Put your recommendations here/Share your good and bad experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Phip3
Rank 2
Rank 2

Velux Repairer

Post by Phip3 »

Hi , I'm looking for a repairer for a Velux roof window. Ideally somebody working in the Argeles Port Vendres area. Electric controlled from panel on wall . Looks like it needs a new motor. Velux themselves unhelpful: installed about 13 years ago by previous DIY owner. Over the years it's been a pain in the backside, but until now I've always managed to fix it.
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

https://www.bing.com/entityexplore?q=Ve ... 66&PC=APPL

Try these , not that I can personally recommend but the are named velux installers
Phip3
Rank 2
Rank 2

Many Thanks

Post by Phip3 »

I've searched the internet for installers but they don't seem be interested in repairs unless they did the installation themselves . I can see why, there's not a lot of money in travelling a distance to carry out a repair or find that you can't repair it
Last edited by Phip3 on Sat 25 Mar 2017 14:59, edited 1 time in total.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Have you tried Velux after sales service?

https://serviceorder.velux.com/?lang=fr_fr#?lang=fr_fr
Phip3
Rank 2
Rank 2

Thanks

Post by Phip3 »

Yes, I've tried them. Got one name in Perpignan who didn't want to come this far + only does repairs for those which they installed . I don't know who installed it and I suspect that it was a DIY job by the previous owner.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Thanks

Post by Allan »

Phip3 wrote:Yes, I've tried them. Got one name in Perpignan who didn't want to come this far + only does repairs for those which they installed . I don't know who installed it and I suspect that it was a DIY job by the previous owner.
I would go back to Velux, or perhaps their head office. In my experience most manufacturers get upset if their after sales network doesn't function.

I had a recent battle with Honda where they refused to honour a warranty for a product not bought in France. Their European Head Office soon sorted them out.

Velux is I believe Danish so they will almost certainly speak English
Phip3
Rank 2
Rank 2

Thanks, I'll try it

Post by Phip3 »

Yes, head office, worth a try . I've had more than one go with French SAV . It must be well out of warrenty as I bought the house with it installed 14 years ago . I expect windows to last more than 14 years but suspect that this might be an outdated idea.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Thanks, I'll try it

Post by martyn94 »

Phip3 wrote:I expect windows to last more than 14 years but suspect that this might be an outdated idea.
I imagine that it's still keeping the rain out. My only velux is well over
14 years old and soldiers on pretty well, and I could replace it like for like in about ten minutes. But I don't have the electrical gizmomolgy that seems to be your problem. It doesn't seem too scandalous to me after this lapse of time, but have you asked your local electrician to look it over?
Phip3
Rank 2
Rank 2

Velux finally repaired and working on 26th June

Post by Phip3 »

Just to close the story . No luck with Velux head office or Velux techies or electricians: Window too old/badly installed/motor not working/parts not available . Only truths there being that the window is old + bad installation. After lots of research on line got wiring diagrams, found quite a few posts with similar problems . Common threads was that after about 15 years the control box failed : steps down voltage from 240V to 24V and provides control between the keypad and the motor(s) . There are 2 motors so thought it unlikely that both had failed + on line discussions pointed to control box , but where was the control box ? Traced wiring from window to keypad and all behind plaster boarded walls! Ended up searching behind plaster board and insulation but never found the control box . Short of stripping walls of plaster board decided to bypass old box and install new box. Box for old installations not longer available from Velux but available from plenty of websites . Order from UK site but delivery date nearly 2 months hence; cancelled ordered from French site, delivery in 2 weeks, never arrived and after 6 weeks was offered a refund; order from German site, with only language German which was a bit tricky as don't speak German. Out of stock but arrived after 2 weeks and 3 days which was 3 days after I gone on holiday . PM Sat., 24th June started installing box. Took about 18 hours work in all . Window very high up and I too old to be working up ladders in the heat . Lots of difficulty getting the wiring from motors through the window frame and to control box . I can understand why no electrician wanted to have anything to do with it . Original installation a mess, but it had working for 15 years . Connecting the box, simple . + Extra 30 minutes for cup of tea while I bucked up the courage to plug the box in and see if it worked . Worked first time . Cost a bit less than 300€ . New installation by Velux techie nearly 3000€ .