How do French Holidays work ???

Been there? Done that? Where to go in the Pyrénées-Orientales

Moderator: Moderators

LadyBass
Rank 2
Rank 2

How do French Holidays work ???

Post by LadyBass »

So sorry to be dumb, do the french really have ALL of July AND August for holidays?

If so how does Industry and commerce continue?

Can anyone explain how the Holidays work please?

On my calendar every day in July and Aug are marked Vacances d'ete with acute accents I cant find on my PC :wink:
It's not a rehearsal....
LadyBass
Rank 2
Rank 2

school hols / french hols

Post by LadyBass »

I dont know why I posted this question in this section must have been having a senior moment !

I imagine that they are school hols but my calendar just says vacances d'ete...

I have been coming to France for hols for ahem a VERY long time since i was 8 years old, and have always been told that France is on holiday throughout July and August but surely that isn't possible for working families... so just wanted clarification...

Certainly the population of our village quadruples in July and August...
It's not a rehearsal....
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mand »

Years ago families tended to have holidays either for the full month of July or the full month of August.

when my OH was a child his father worked for the SNCF and they always went on holiday for the full month of July and as he recalls so did all his friends,neighbours etc take a full months holiday.
Taking a full months holiday was regarded as normal.

Today most tend to go for 2/3 weeks but some still take a month i know a few of people who still go away for a month.

in the Paris region you will find small shops closed with notices on the windows saying on annual holidays for the month of either July or August.