Sorede's starcrossed lovers

Been there? Done that? Where to go in the Pyrénées-Orientales

Moderator: Moderators

jethro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Sorede's starcrossed lovers

Post by jethro »

Those who plunge in the cool rock-pools of the Massane near Sorede will have noticed the little chapel of St. Ferréol at La Pave, a tiny hamlet nestling under the ruins of the Castle of Ultrera. A legend is connected with this place, and appears to have considerable roots in historical truth. I translate from the story as told by Jérome Margail in his anecdotes of old Sorede.
In the 13th century, Sabine and Cinto lived in La Pave. From earliest childhood, they were inseparable and, with time, their friendship became love.They were both shepherds and led their flocks on the slopes of the Albères; they were betrothed and were waiting impatiently for the day when their wedding was to be celebrated in the little chapel of Saint Alexander, later renamed Saint Ferréol. Nothing and nobody could separate them.
However, the horizon was darkening for the two lovers. Down on the plain, dark clouds of dust were being raised by a horde of soldiers come from France. In fact, the army of Philippe le Hardi, killing and burning everything in its path, after having passed through Elne, which heroically resisted a bitter seige, and on its way to Gerona, stopped for a few days in the valley of Lavail. One of its officers, quartered at La Pave, fell in love with the young and beautiful Sabine. Despite her opposition, she was obliged to agree to become engaged. The engagement ceremony went badly; that day, people were dancing and jumping in Sabine's old farmhouse so energetically that the floor gave way. After the panic, Sabine's lifeless body was pulled out of the ruins. Three days after the tragedy. Cinto died of grief.
Their bodies were buried on each side of the door of the Chapel of Saint Alexander. It is said that Mauro, Cinto's faithful guard dog was found dead on his master's grave.Some years ago, during restoration work, two gravestones covering two skeletons were found in the spot.
What happened to the officer who had caused all this ? He died at Gerona, stung by flies which emerged from the sarcophagus of Saint Narcissus, which the French army had violated.
I thought I would share this sad little story with you, just to add an extra dimension to your walks in the beautiful valley of Lavail. To read the original,see the blog Sureda fa temps. Sabine's house, the Mas Barde, is still visible, at least its ruins are.
an' the wun' cried Mary.
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

Thank you for sharing that story :D

Cheers Sav :)
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

You can see this chapel at this site:

http://www.pyreneesmediterraneanliving. ... 06_JPG.htm

or at this site:

http://www.pyreneesmediterraneanliving. ... 08_JPG.htm

There are some other photos about this Laval part of Sorede on this photo album on this site:

http://www.pyreneesmediterraneanliving.com/index.htm

At this site you can find a bongo player on the rocks. This guy must have been pretty bad to hide in the side of the Massane river.

http://www.pyreneesmediterraneanliving. ... 15_JPG.htm

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

That's fascinating Jethro. Will use it in a future PO Life. Merci.
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

What an interesting and sad story. When I lived in St. Cyprien Plage, I spent many happy days exploring the valleys of the Alberes.
Did you know that if you dangle your feet in the river at Laval, you can have 'fish nibbling therapy' free of charge?
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Ha ha. Fantastic Carol. Another entry for my Did you Know section. I am always on the lookout for little gems like these. Thank you both and if anyone has any more weird or wonderful facts about the PO, I'd love to hear them.