Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Floods in Banyuls sur Mer

Post by Sav »

Kate wrote:Wow. Take a look at the video

http://www.lindependant.fr/2011/11/20/i ... ne_info%5D
The storm last year was pretty bad :roll:
Do we have anyone there who can report on this ?
Is this seawater, as i am unable to find any other possible source on the map :?

Cheers Sav :)
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Oh my goodness, that is awful, those poor people who have got to clear all that up, especially this time of year, and if it gets really cold, well who knows :shock:
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

That is awful. I feel so sorry for them.
Dylan
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Sav
There is a small river on the South side of Banyuls. This comes from the valley where it goes towards Spain.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Floods in Banyuls sur Mer

Post by blackduff »

Sav wrote:
Kate wrote:Wow. Take a look at the video

http://www.lindependant.fr/2011/11/20/i ... ne_info%5D
The storm last year was pretty bad :roll:
Do we have anyone there who can report on this ?Is this seawater, as i am unable to find any other possible source on the map :?

Cheers Sav :)
There's a woman who lives in Banyuls now. I'm not sure of her situation though. Her screen name is tanyabeattie.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

blackduff wrote: There is a small river on the South side of Banyuls. This comes from the valley where it goes towards Spain.
Thanks Blackduff

It's the channel that runs under the road bridge i think, just after the parking area.
But that's still a distance away, however there is a feed further up, which is quite close to the affected area.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=map+ban ... CDoQ8gEwAA

Seems to go under the station & then up to Rue Saint-Sebastien, that could be the source that has possibly overflowed.

Cheers Sav
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

Banyuls sur Mer?

Banyuls sous D'eaux more like.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Looks pretty bad. With the amount of rain we're having I don;t think it will be the last either. Anyone who has property anywhere near a river should be looking at emergency plans and checking their insurance policy.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mrob343 »

Some more info re the flooding is here:

En Direct/Live

http://www.lindependant.fr/2011/11/21/t ... ,86934.php
tanyabeattie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tanyabeattie »

Hi I'm the tanyabeattie living in Banyuls. Sorry not come back sooner but our Livebox got fried in the electrical storm as well as the cooker and washing machine! We were lucky though as managed to avoid the flooding as we're on the top of a hill. People down in town not so lucky. The main shopping road was flooded with up to 1m of water - as seen in the youtube clip. Think what happened is the flood water entered the river which then emptied into the sea causing a massive build up which flooded the town. Lots of businesses still closed due to flood damage. Awful at this time of year. And I thought the weather was bad in Knutsford...
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

That sounds terrible, I am thanking my lucky stars that we got off so lightly.
Good luck with the clear up.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
John & Elaine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by John & Elaine »

Been trying to phone someone in Banyuls but they are permanently engaged - could this be because of the floods messing up their phone?

Grateful for any thoughts!

John
tanyabeattie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tanyabeattie »

It could well be. The storm blew our Livebox along with a lot of other people's judging by the queue in the Orange shop in Perpignan. No Livebox no phone.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

tanyabeattie wrote:It could well be. The storm blew our Livebox along with a lot of other people's judging by the queue in the Orange shop in Perpignan. No Livebox no phone.
Yes, took out our Neufbox as well. The surge went through the box and took out the network card in the computer as well. Best to disconnect everything in a storm. Hindsight is wonderful!

Russell.
tanyabeattie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tanyabeattie »

I agree, blew the circuit board in the oven too! Next time will be prepared. Apparently Liveboxes are usually the first thing to blow so will be heading for that socket first!