Le Perthus

Been there? Done that? Where to go in the Pyrénées-Orientales

Moderator: Moderators

janette007

Le Perthus

Post by janette007 »

Hello,
I'm holidaying in dept.66 this september; hoping it will still be hot.

I've been recommended to visit Le Perthus for the shopping but I'm travelling with 2 elderly persons in our party and they have a need for disabled friendly loo's. I've seen that there is a public loo near the big carpark on the north end of town but are there any down near the customs area? Is it still really busy there late september? All the references I've found only talk about the crowded carparks.

Thank you
Janette007 :D
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Le Perthus isn't very disabled friendly. There are a few disabled parking bays (bring your Disabled Parking badge if you have one) but it is always very busy and not easy to park except in the car park you mention. There are public toilets just outside the car park but not disabled friendly. The supermarkets have toilets but again not really for the disabled.
Toilets in restaurants and bars tend to be much better in Spain than in France so that would be your best bet.

It depends what you want to buy but it may be worth going further into Spain.

Russell.
janette007

Post by janette007 »

Thanks Russell for such a quick replay,
They are walking disabled albeit with a stick so if the supermarkets have got loo's that should do it hopefully.

They want to buy drink, someone else wants loads of charcuterie. One year we were in the ariege and went to andorra but the air quality was too thin. So Le perthus looks the best bet, will it be very crowded still in september?

Thank you
Janette007
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Le Perthus is ok but very touristy with a lot of the shops selling typical tourist tat. It may be worthwhile going a short distance further to La Jonquera where there are more supermarkets and a lot better parking. We favour the large Escudero which is on your left about half way through the town. Others prefer Tramuntana (sp) but be aware it is a major truck stop and therefore favoured by ladies of the night or in this instance day and night!! Many suggest Figueres for shopping with its food market but may present too much walking for your companions.
Dylan
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

hi, I would definately not recommend le perthus even walking with a stick. my dad is the same and went there a few years back ( in september), it was a nightmare. The roads are really steep and just not disabled friendly at all where ever you go there. you'd be best going to la jonquere, you can get exactly the same stuff there and with a lot less stress.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Sue wrote: Others prefer Tramuntana (sp) but be aware it is a major truck stop and therefore favoured by ladies of the night or in this instance day and night!!
La Tramuntana (on the right on the main road heading south from La Jonq) has disabled parking bays right outside the main entrance and a disabled toilet. The ladies of the day are all along the main roads here but don't seem to cause any problem.

Yes; Le Pertus is very busy all year and parking in the shopping area is difficult. We have been there with someone in a wheelchair and it is not easy.

Russell.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

It depends what you mean by shopping. Both Perthus and La Jonquera are border towns with lots of similar shops selling booze, fags, Spanish foodstuffs and all sorts of tat. They are scruffy and overcrowded.

Figueres is an attractive, historic town with a wider variety of shops of all kinds, lots of nice cafes and squares and so on. It has drinks stores no more expensive than the above places with better ranges (Wine Palace for example) and better supermarkets too.

For charcuterie, I reckon France is better. A lot of the chorizo and serrano ham found in Perthus and Jonquera is very low quality stuff.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I agree with you entirely Santiago but La Jonquerra has ease of parking close to any of the large supermarkets with facilities suitable for the less able bodied. Figueres whilst a great visit would possiblyinvolve too much walking for the person who posted's companions.
Dylan
janette007

Le Perthus

Post by janette007 »

Thank you everybody, you've all given me food for thought.

I will take on board all the info when planning our trip., I'm thinking La Jonquera is probably the best bet since so many advise it.

Once again Thank you all for the great advice.

Janette007