How many Anglophones are there?

Been there? Done that? Where to go in the Pyrénées-Orientales

Moderator: Moderators

Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

How many Anglophones are there?

Post by Merisin »

We had a really interesting chat with some people we met at a party last weekend. What nobody seems to know is how many English speakers are there in the Department of the PO.

Estimates range from a few hundred to several thousand. Of course it's all a bit complicated because you'll get different answers if you're talking about ex-pat Brits, English speakers in general, whether full-time or part-time residents.

Can anybody point us in the right direction for a reliable source?

Thanks

Merisin
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Quite a difficult one as the census doesnt differentiate between foreigners ie you tick either native French..... or not, meaning that english speakers aren't counted alone.
Last edited by Kate on Mon 11 Mar 2013 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
Merisin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Merisin »

As nobody could suggest a figure my husband had a go at it. After a bit of digging on the Net he came up with a figure of around 2500 English speakers living here more or less permanently.

Perhaps I should explain why I asked the question.

Friends of friends were telling us about how they are keen to support the Britannia Pub at Empuriabrava. Where they keep their boat. By all accounts this Pub is a real centre for local anglophones. The owners work hard to make it attractive to a wide cross section of potential customers. Not too posh but no sawdust on the floor either.

If it works down there why don't we have something similar this side of the border? Surely there are enough people around to make a go of it.?

Or do we have such a place but I just don't know about it?

Merisin
Debbie and Noel

Post by Debbie and Noel »

There is an English Pub in Argeles. According to this site they are now open for business. But I drove past it on Saturday and it was closed. I think it only opens in the holiday season and mainly attracts tourists as it is in a parade of shops near the sea front where parking is not easy. In fact I drive past it regularly and cannot remember the last time it was open.

Noel
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

The pub to which Noel refers is the George and Dragon on Avenue General de Gaulle. Tel 06 98 87 26 33. As far as their advert goes they are open now whether it is just evening or lunchtimes too I dont know but they are advertising Sunday lunchtime meals. Parking outside is difficult but if you dont mind walking 100/200yds there is ample free parking to the left and right of it although this may be tricky in the main 2 holiday months.
Dylan
Libby
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Libby »

The George and Dragon pub has, I believe, changed hands and has been revamped and it now open, but as stated by Sue, not sure of the hours.
Still Brit. owned I think.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

If you go to the Home Page, there is a column headed Latest Articles about 3/4 of the way down you will see it says George and Dragon, click on it and you will be given details. I must admit we have never been there as we dont go looking for Brit company.
Dylan
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Libby wrote:The George and Dragon pub has, I believe, changed hands and has been revamped and it now open, but as stated by Sue, not sure of the hours.
Still Brit. owned I think.
That's wrong. The place hasn't been changed but there are some people working as a "Gerance" system. The owner was a bit of health problems and he and his wife are taking a bit slower.

I've spoken with a guy who was there the opening and he's saying it's great. Of course this means that there was lots of beer.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.