Charles Rennie Mackintosh

Been there? Done that? Where to go in the Pyrénées-Orientales

Moderator: Moderators

sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Charles Rennie Mackintosh

Post by sue and paul »

I want to visit CRM sites with a friend. I know about the little gallery in Port Vendres - is it still only open on Friday afternoons? Can anyone point me to information about others please? There was an event last November opening a gallery/trail in Amelie les Bains, for example, but I can't easily find info on it. Are there other sites, galleries etc, that we should visit? Thanks
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Dylan
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Enormously helpful, thanks Sue
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

With our guest I visited the CRM museum in Port Vendres, open 15h - 17h on Friday afternoons. In the basement of the Dome, which has its own interesting and sad history, the display is compact, informative and managed by two well-informed and chatty ladies (though counting change of 20€ for 2 x 2€ entries flummoxed them a bit). There is a little shop area to buy prints etc. I overheard a French visitor chatting to the staff, and expressing the view that it is nice for the English, and the museum must make us feel at home :roll:

On another visit we found the little museum in Palalda (Amelie-les-Bains). Set in the ancient heart of the village, the display is again small, but has a little more information about CRM's architecture designs, including information about his redesign of his alma mater, Glasgow School of Art. There are also a few samples of his fabric designs there.

We didn't venture as far as the Fort Liberia at Villefranche de Conflent, where there is a 3rd display. Another day.

http://www.crmackintoshfrance.com