swimming pool advice

Been there? Done that? Where to go in the Pyrénées-Orientales

Moderator: Moderators

tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

swimming pool advice

Post by tia »

Hi, can't work out where to put this subject so sorry if it's in the wrong place. Just wondering if there are any pool experts on here who could tell me how many hours a day my pool should be filtering? Have a sand filter and 20m3 of water to filter and runs on brome through an automatic thing.
I'm not very technical in english so please bear in mind when in explaining ( not much better in french either !)
Thank you
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

A basic rule of thumb , half the temp in hours. So if your pool reads 24 deg then 12 hours.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

interiors66 wrote:A basic rule of thumb , half the temp in hours. So if your pool reads 24 deg then 12 hours.
Interesting answer but I'd love to know the logic behind it. It doesn't seem to take into account flow rate, pool volume, number of people using it, quantity of debris blown in, or any of the other more conventional factors.

I know it's only a rule of thumb and it might be right but I can't see the reasoning.

Personally I would keep the pool filter running long enough to keep the pool clean. Start it on 12 hours a day and progressively reduce it. If the pool stays clean on a shorter time then fine. If 12 hours doesn't clean it then run it longer.
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

Allan wrote:
interiors66 wrote:A basic rule of thumb , half the temp in hours. So if your pool reads 24 deg then 12 hours.
Interesting answer but I'd love to know the logic behind it. It doesn't seem to take into account flow rate, pool volume, number of people using it, quantity of debris blown in, or any of the other more conventional factors.

I know it's only a rule of thumb and it might be right but I can't see the reasoning.

Personally I would keep the pool filter running long enough to keep the pool clean. Start it on 12 hours a day and progressively reduce it. If the pool stays clean on a shorter time then fine. If 12 hours doesn't clean it then run it longer.
From a novice for a novice
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

thanks for the reply, had a feeling it was something like that . have got it running for 10 hours at the moment but just wondered if it was enough or too much.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

When our pool was installed we were told to subtract 15 from the temperature and halve the result to get the number of hours. However, at present our pool is at 31 C and we are pumping for five hours a day without problems. It's worth increasing it a bit after heavy rain as that tends to carry algue.

Russell.