Books to Read.

Been there? Done that? Where to go in the Pyrénées-Orientales

Moderator: Moderators

Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

And a shame for everyone Martyn. Please don't goooooooooo :lol: It's not important enough to lose valued forum members to. Sorry if I called you grumpy - it was kind of meant affectionately....in that I think many men can be a bit grumpy in the way they write ie forget that we cant see body language, facial expressions etc and just say it how it is. Us ladies on the other hand are thoughtful, delicate and sensitive little flowers - and much better liars than you lot!! :lol: :lol:
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Was that a lie you just posted Kate. :) :)
Dylan
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Sue wrote:I use Calibre too Russell but very often the books are blocked and cannot be converted.
Yes, that's a pain. It encourages people to download pirate copies instead so I don't know why they do it.

If you have a Kindle and buy ebooks for that you can remove the DRM restriction with free software if you know the Kindle's serial number.

Russell.
Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pearsonb »

I agree entirely with you, Martyn. But there again I am definitely grumpy.

Pearson
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Don't worry it's a man thing. :)
Dylan
Jeanne-Marie Turner

Post by Jeanne-Marie Turner »

Dear Mr Grumpy,
We have had a great deal of amusement with the messages going to and fro on this forum. We accept your form of apology, which is all we can call it as you try to wriggle out of your former comments and have had a great deal of amusement from it all.
Without wanting to deride PO magazine, if we really had wanted to sell or advertise this book, we would have tried some forum more world wide. As I say, I posted this book on a local forum more for interest to those who are interested in the area rather than with the intention of selling sufficient for that meal out that I am still waiting for. Alas, as an artist, selling or even being that commercial is not really my thing, and in my late seventies, what will I do with that possible million anyway? Believe me, my intentions were purely informative but the odd 30p royalties may have come in handy. Maybe towards the exorbitant taxes we pay for the privilidge of living here anyway.
We bear no ill grudge towards you, or you, we hope, towards us and if we
had a free copy I would willingly give it to you. Maybe, if you ever find the time to read a copy, we only hope sincerely that you may find it amusing.
Please, just appreciate that the real joy to us has been the creation. Once finished we are already onto the next idea. Such is the life of the artist.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Well that was quite an interesting read.

My feeling is that there is a pretty thin line between giving information and advertising, especially when the information requires people to part with their money.

I must admit that when I read the opening post, I was intrigued by the concept of the book. I thought it might be a fictionalised account of all the funny things that have taken place between members of this forum over the years. :lol:

To be honest, I think Jeanne-Marie misjudged her posts by a) mentioning the critical reviews, b) publicising the content of PMs for all to see and c) entering into a rather silly and unnecessary argument.

In the end it put me off the idea of buying the book. However, if it is on Kindle, I would download a sample.

I think a more sensible approach to using this site to inform/publicise your husband's book would have been to give Kate a sample to publish on her main website for us to read.

Forums are notoriously dangerous places to promote goods and services, however artistic or altruistic they may be.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Santiago wrote:Well that was quite an interesting read.

My feeling is that there is a pretty thin line between giving information and advertising, especially when the information requires people to part with their money.

I must admit that when I read the opening post, I was intrigued by the concept of the book. I thought it might be a fictionalised account of all the funny things that have taken place between members of this forum over the years. :lol:

To be honest, I think Jeanne-Marie misjudged her posts by a) mentioning the critical reviews, b) publicising the content of PMs for all to see and c) entering into a rather silly and unnecessary argument.

In the end it put me off the idea of buying the book. However, if it is on Kindle, I would download a sample.

I think a more sensible approach to using this site to inform/publicise your husband's book would have been to give Kate a sample to publish on her main website for us to read.

Forums are notoriously dangerous places to promote goods and services, however artistic or altruistic they may be.
It may be strange from Mr Grumpy, but I would not be so demanding. If you are talking about a book, people generally have to buy it, for better or worse: the publishing house probably has rights which you can't muck about with. But it may still be worth sharing, done carefully and in the right place.

If the post had been called "My husband's new book about Céret", I would probably have passed on without a thought. If the text had tried to make me interested in the substance of the book, I might even have been tempted to buy. That's the strange thing: even after all this, I don't have the foggiest what it's about or like: lighthearted and Peter-Mayles-y, or Murder; fact or fiction. Like selling wine without saying what colour it is, though Jonathan's posts here are a lesson in tact and courtesy.
Jeanne-Marie Turner

I am prepared to accept all the arguments. The book is fact, fact, fact, what better story could there be? It is still not unsimilar to the 'Year in Provence' but it has helped us to recover from the Murder of our only son. Pyrenees Orientals is attractive for it's tranquility, beauty and laid back way of life. Lovely for those wanting to retire here but alas, there is a seamy side also hidden beneath all that we have said above. Without wishing to give the story away to those who prefer to discover as they plough through a novel, it is, funny, absurd, true and tragic. Just Read, Read, Read. Whether you pay or not.
Please accept that this has been a learning curve for me.
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

I'm sure everyone is shocked by the news that thr Turner family have undergone such a terrible tragedy as the loss of their son. No-one who hasn't experienced such sadness can possibly understand how devastating this must be. If writing this book has helped Mr.Turner to mourn, it was certainly a worthwhile venture.
Having said that, I don't feel it is up to Jeanne-Marie to tell us that there can be " no better story," and to urge us to "Read, Read, Read". To my mind iti sounds patronising, and no-one of our (well, my - ) age likes to be told what to do.
Helen
ps Maybe I should have publicised Robert's massive book ; at the time it was 130 francs; cheques & any small change to my a/c
Jeanne-Marie Turner

I really am not bothered whether you read or even buy. I feel that a simple piece of information I posted on this forum has blown out of all proportion. I do feel that if anyone has anything worthwhile to say then they should read first and comment later. This forum has been all a 'Much a do about Nothing' and frankly, a waste of my time. I had no intention of upsetting anyone, merely to inform people that another book has recently been published concerning this area. Nothing more. There is no better story than the truth, that is all I meant. Of course there are many, many great books in production. This was never intended to be anything other than light holiday entertainment but also informative to anyone interested.
I will welcome positive views perhaps but these cannot be made unless, first, people are aware of this book's existence and second, only after it has been read. NOTHING MORE please. It has all become silly. No comment is worthwhile from empty heads. Without reading there can be no content in any comments made. THAT IS ALL. I have no wish to be patronising. That
was never my intention or even thought.
I should add that most of the book was written before our son's death. It stood still for a while following our shock but then I urged my husband to complete the book as it had hung around so long. It was a positive thing for us both to do. We only hope now that a few people may derive some enjoyment from it. Nothing more, though (with Tongue in cheek) I will appreciate that meal out if it ever comes.

Please, let the subject drop. There are other things to do rather than argue over a book that has not even been read.
Yours sincerely.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

I ordered this book over a month ago and it finally arrived last week, at the time I said I would write a review and having read it, I am a now in a position to do so.

I really wanted to like this book but to be honest I was quite disappointed.

Firstly I found it quite difficult to read, the paragraphs and many sentences are enormous, sometimes spanning more than one page. I suppose this is the result of self publishing.

I had expected a book about the Pyrenees Orientales but really it is focused on Ceret and the author's property, with only a few mentions of the rest of the region. I felt the characters were weak and mostly uninteresting and visitors would learn little about the region other than not leaning against walls in Ceret during the feria.

One of the chapters deals with a cremation in France and struck me as utterly pointless.

The last chapter deals with their personal tragedy and l feel deeply for the author and his family. No parents should have to endure the loss of a child and if writing the book helped them cope with it then that is a good enough reason for writing it

Reviews are of course personal opinions and the views of others may be vastly different but had I not said that I would comment on this book then I would have discarded it after the first few chapters.

I wish the author and his wife well but it is not for me.

Martyn, if you read this and would like me to send it to you then send me a pm.
Jeanne-Marie Turner

Thank you for your response. Thank you also for the 30 centimes royalties. Alas, the paragraphs are not designed for short term memory loss. The pages are short and the print fairly large. No more to be said. It is all in the spirit of humour. :wink:
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Jeanne-Marie Turner wrote:Thank you for your response. Thank you also for the 30 centimes royalties. Alas, the paragraphs are not designed for short term memory loss. The pages are short and the print fairly large. No more to be said. It is all in the spirit of humour. :wink:
I don't know whether your comment about 'short term memory loss' was meant to be amusing or nasty, whichever it was it was lost on me.

There is of course no right or wrong sentence or paragraph size but most sources of guidance for authors seem to recommend that for readability, sentences should be no more than 15 to 20 words. I opened the book today at a random page and most of the sentences exceeded 40 words and a number were nearer 60. As I said, with the long sentences and rambling paragraphs, I found the book difficult to read, and I don't suffer from short-term memory loss.

You urged people to read the book before commenting on it which I did so please take the criticism constructively which is how it was meant.
Jeanne-Marie Turner

Books to read.

Thank goodness I stick to poetry.
I passed your comments on to my husband who suggests that you read 'Ulysses'.
I guess if this forum is an introduction to 'Le Troisième àge de la Pyrenees Orientals' then it is clearly not my métier.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

I don't really see that it is the fault of the forum Jeanne. There are all sorts, of all ages,with all opinions. It seems to me that Allan has given his honest opinion of a book that was simply not for him - but at least he has taken the trouble to buy and read it.

If I did not listen to constructive critiscism, P-O Life would have sunk long ago. Agreed, it is demoralising - I have been there many times - but can only help you to improve your style in the long run. Blaming the forum or the reviewer is a little unfair! I know of several people who have bought your book - but prefer not to put anything on the forum for fear of your, and I quote 'caustic respons'.

It is a great achievement to publish a book, and something that you should be proud of - at the same time as accepting that if you ask for people's opinion, and they give it, it might not always be what you want to hear!
Jeanne-Marie Turner

you may be correct. i am just fed up with the aimlessness of retirement. not enough money on a pension that does not keep up with the rising cost of living and surrounded by those, many younger, who are just content to sit back. such an emptyheaded existence. My aunt is 98 years as many of my family have lived long, full creative lives. i love new opportunities for travel or making things, as you can guess. i have a great appetite for life and looking forward to further travel across the world. writing,painting etc.
what i need is encorougement and a positive purpose. i have a beautiful home that is full of opportunities but frustrated often by the obstacles put in my way by others. god preserve me from so called retirement.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Ha ha, you've probably put into words the thoughts of many! Personally, I think that those who are content to sit back, should sit back - how lucky they are to be content with that....and those who have a taste for adventure should go out and chase it.Isnt it ironic that we spend half our working lives looking forward to sitting around doing nothing, and much of our sitting around doing nothing time wishing we were working? :roll:
lonesome paddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lonesome paddy »

I think the problem lies with that PO Life magazine, it gives you too many places to see and things to do.......and wont let you see the ads for a fitted kitchen :roll:
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Did you miss the one for videos Lonesome Paddy? When was the last time anyone used a video recorder!
Dylan
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Have just scrolled down and see you didn't miss it :) Apologies for highjacking the book thread. :(
Dylan
Teddy123

Post by Teddy123 »

This is a nice book?
Jeanne-Marie Turner

Books to read.

Thank you.
TiffanyYY

Post by TiffanyYY »

I like book!Thank you for all the information! :lol:
etui silicone Xperia Z3 coque Sony Xperia Z3
Last edited by TiffanyYY on Tue 10 Mar 2015 08:30, edited 2 times in total.
GrahamC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Wot - no Kindle Edition?

Post by GrahamC »

I shot off to Amazon to buy the book as soon as I'd read this post. Alas, horreur indignation - there's no Kindle edition.

Any plans to produce one soon?