"Over the Border" page 44 PO LIfe Spring 2015 edit

Been there? Done that? Where to go in the Pyrénées-Orientales

Moderator: Moderators

Stephen S
Rank 0
Rank 0

"Over the Border" page 44 PO LIfe Spring 2015 edit

Post by Stephen S »

While having a short break at our apt. in Argeles last week, we escaped the poor weather with a trip to Figueres (been several times over last 22 or so years) and went up to the Fort San Ferran. Well worth the visit, though we did not walk a suggested in the article! Then, again departing from the "script", we parked centrally and walked and eventually found Lidl and the Transit opposite. Excellent service as per Linda Razzell's comments and we were very impressed by quality and quantity of the food. We showed the article to the proprietors, who were genuinely surprised to see their establishment mentioned. We were the only Brits, but there was a table of 5 French next to us, so word has spread over the border! It was busy, but delivery of food speedy, but equally we were not rushed. We had extra wine and coffee & on checking my bank account back here in England , I see the bill was £19.52! There is parking for a couple of cars on the forecourt. It would be good to visit again, but then again, there are so many good looking places to eat in the town, it would be a pity to miss out on other good menus.
Stephen & Sally S
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Glad the article was useful Stephen. Will try and squeeze a few more restaurant reviews in over the border in the summer edition.
You didnt pop into the prison did you for a coffee and a swim while you were there. Very contraversial - when I left there after my chat with them, I made a (very British) joke about booking in for a couple of weeks for the summer, but nobody even smiled or found me remotely amusing and I left in silence, tail between legs. That British humour eh? :oops:
Stephen S
Rank 0
Rank 0

Over the Border

Post by Stephen S »

Thanks for speedy reply, especially as it is a Sunday! No, avoided the prison, but saw it from Autoroute a few years back before knew what it was! Discovered its purpose from an article somewhere shortly after seeing it. Seems very nice place for a short stay, as you imply!

We have enjoyed reading PO Life on our visits, although have not always found a copy on each visit. The recent discovery that there is the online version is a great advance for us and the regular updates and wider scope of material than that in the magazine is very useful, not that that is in anyway a criticism of the printed item. From seeing the details in the on-line pages re the opening of the camp at Rivesaltes in the summer, that is on our "to do list" on next visit or one after. What went on in this part of France in the War was not generally publicised in my youth, for obvious reasons(!) and so belated recognition of the Vichy & Nazi activities are welcome for those interested in history. The Retirada is also something we have only really come to know about by being in the area. Taking a walk one day North from Port Argeles where our apt is, we came across a ceremony being held at the memorial stone on the Plage Nord. It was an anniversary of the opening or closing of the camp on the beach. Several local dignitaries of course, but we got talking to a woman whose parents had both fled Franco as young people, met in the camp & married. She had come all the way down from Paris for the short event, so shows how much it means to many still.
Sorry to ramble on about things other than Figueras, but it was an opportunity to say thanks for the effort that goes into the magazine and website, and if it ever stopped we and many others would miss it. To close on a restaurant theme, we always enjoy Mariscada in the Port and Sa Vincens in Collioure. We are regulars at the first on our first night down there & usually the night before coming home and Sa Vincens is a Sunday lunch fixture. Both "look after us" as we are "regulars", so maybe we are biased!
Regards,
Stephen & Sally S