Superyachts

Been there? Done that? Where to go in the Pyrénées-Orientales

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Superyachts

Post by martyn94 »

It's one of the incidental pleasures of living in Port-Vendres that we get humongous Russian-oligarch type yachts passing through every few weeks. There's one there now - Sycara V - which is not quite the biggest I've seen, but by a long way the most brutally ugly. And the interiors are pretty naff too, according to Google.

So if you're passing through PV, and want to be reconciled to not being super-rich, take a look to the other side of the port.

But if it seems attractive, it's yours for €70million. Though I suspect they might take an offer.
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alan »

Hope it's still there when we arrive on Friday.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Many moons ago we owned and lived on a super yacht...an 8.66m mirage :wink: we met lots of crew from superyachts and often got to see the way other folks live( or spend the occasional weekend when they were not relaxing in the Bahamas or skiing at cloisters.) The deckhands were usually nervous wrecks and forever cleaning, polishing or kowtowing to the captain and that was when they were in port.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
GrahamC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GrahamC »

I like the superyacht currently berthed in Puerto Banus. On the transom it says:

'This time next year...' Along with an image of a battered old Reliant Robin
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

opas wrote:Many moons ago we owned and lived on a super yacht...an 8.66m mirage :wink: we met lots of crew from superyachts and often got to see the way other folks live( or spend the occasional weekend when they were not relaxing in the Bahamas or skiing at cloisters.) The deckhands were usually nervous wrecks and forever cleaning, polishing or kowtowing to the captain and that was when they were in port.
The difference between a super yacht and a superyacht is just space :)
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

GrahamC wrote:I like the superyacht currently berthed in Puerto Banus. On the transom it says:

Excellent!
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Of course it is a matter of space, both in the written word and the berth.....

In Malta when having some work done in the boat yard we had the pleasure of being moorednext door but one to one of Gadafis many yachts, his entourage looked so out of place in their full costume next to their neighbours in cut. Off jeans and bikini tops..
The other faomus person was Bernard Mathews , Skippered and crewed for the president of maltas daughter nd lets not forget we crewed for a Dentist callled Mike from Ashton and his countdown letters lady Kathy Hynter..
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Nigel and Karen
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Nigel and Karen »

GrahamC wrote:I like the superyacht currently berthed in Puerto Banus. On the transom it says:

It should have been " this time last year "
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

unless they were thinking they would soon go bust... :lol:
GrahamC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GrahamC »

sue and paul wrote:unless they were thinking they would soon go bust... :lol:
Ah you've forgotten the last line of the final episode.

Del boy and Rodney standing on their very large yacht.

"This time next year Rodney we could be billionaires"
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

It's back, and even uglier than I remembered. How does any vessel need 5 glossy black radar domes, unless it's Spectre trying to hijack a few Polaris missiles?
Perpipal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Perpipal »

Why yacht and not yot? Is this viking? I was almost run over my Peter Sellers and crew whist snorkeling naked off Naxos. I was invited on board an given a towel. Peter Sellers said 'Stop all that snoggeling and come and have a glass of champers!' to which I replied ' Ave you got enough rrrooooomm'
We got into port about an hour later and I still have the towel inscribed with Blue Peter!
True
Anthea & Tim
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Anthea & Tim »

I think the current vessel in Port Vendres is Okto http://y.co/yacht/okto. It for sale or rent.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Perpipal! You mean the nicked the towels!!! loooooool

For the spelling, I could be wrong (and frequently am!!) but I think it comes from old Dutch jaght (or similar spelling) which was short for jachtschip meaning pirate or hunting boat.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Anthea & Tim wrote:I think the current vessel in Port Vendres is Okto http://y.co/yacht/okto. It for sale or rent.
I guess you're right: I couldn't be bothered to go round and read off the name: it is the same length, and a very similar hull shape, to the one I saw last year. The details on your website are as always a hoot: it's prime attraction seems to be that it has "high-heel friendly" decks. As for the interiors......

Rather different from my own experience of yachting many years ago: in the words of an old saying, like standing under a cold shower tearing up £5 notes. Fortunately the notes mostly belonged to other people.