Hotel recommendation?

Been there? Done that? Where to go in the Pyrénées-Orientales

Moderator: Moderators

Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Hotel recommendation?

Post by Helen »

Guys, I'd be really grateful for any hotel recommendations with the following criteria. This is for a special occasion and probably falls in to money no object ( well, nearly.....) It's for 1 or 2 nights - in the PO or over the border in Spain

- by the sea (or close enough to have great sea views)
- quality accommodation
- with restaurant that has great food and great views

Although by the sea is currently top of the list, I'd also like to hear about hotels that will give the 'special' feel I'm looking for, in a great location.

Any thoughts?
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Hotel des Trois Mats (resto La Fregate) in Collioure.
pbb
Rank 2
Rank 2

Hotel

Post by pbb »

Almadraba Park Hotel, Roses.

Have not stayed there ourselves, but it has been recommended by friends.
rogb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rogb »

Hotel Aigua Blava, Begur, Costa Brava.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

For a seriously good hotel you will need to cross the border. Try the Hostal de la Gavina in S'Agarro http://www.lhw.com/hotel/Hostal-de-la-G ... rava-Spain

If money is really no object then the Alva Park is stunning though it doesn't have good sea views. http://www.lhw.com/hotel/Alva-Park-Cost ... -Mar-Spain

Another exceptional hotel is the Mas de Torrent http://www.hotelmastorrent.com/en/. It has 2 great restaurants but is in the countryside and not on the coast. It definitely has that special feel.

None of the hotels on the PO coast come anywhere near the Spanish ones.

I think Martyn probably meant Les Trois Mas in Collioure, it has good sea views, a Michelin starred restaurant (La Ballette) which focuses on seafood, beyond that however, the hotel is pretty ordinary.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Not stayed myself but have heard good reviews of Hotel Grief in Llanca, just over the border and right on the sea edge.
Dylan
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Had some friends stay at the hotel de la Lagune in Saint Cyprien early this year. They said it was fantastic.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:
I think Martyn probably meant Les Trois Mas in Collioure, it has good sea views, a Michelin starred restaurant (La Ballette) which focuses on seafood, beyond that however, the hotel is pretty ordinary.
Yes. Not for the first time, damn the auto-correct, though the wrong name for the restaurant is all my own work. The lunchtime menu at La Balette is exceptional value (though I realise that this is not the objective here). You get all the Michelin-star nonsense for the price of a few Big Macs: a total hoot.

I've never stayed there, and it wouldn't help much if I had. I have never really seen the point of tarty hotels, given that you're asleep most of the time. I always feel vaguely cheated that I could have rung for champagne and caviar at 3 in the morning, but never quite feel the urge. But each to his own.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

Hotel Casamar in Llafranc on the Costa Brava. http://hotelcasamar.net/ca Not stayed there but have eaten in the restaurant.

Or http://www.hostalempuries.com/fr/hostal ... osta-brava . I've not stayed or eaten there but the location is superb.

As Allan says, there are limited choices here in the PO on the coast.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

What is the Flamant Roses (sp) like at Canet. Couldn't get any closer to the sea.
Dylan
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Sue wrote:What is the Flamant Roses (sp) like at Canet. Couldn't get any closer to the sea.
We stayed there when house hunting, it was fairly ordinary. It's sister hotel , L'Ile de la Lagune, which kate mentioned, is much nicer and probably the best around here. Unfortunately it doesn't have a sea view.
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

Thank you for such a great range of suggestions - I really appreciate it. No 'white smoke' yet as to where we'll go, but will report back in due course.
Meyer

Post by Meyer »

Could you recommend a hotel on Iceland? I want to visit reykjavik and am looking for something inexpensive...
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

Flamant Roses expensive, dissapointing lunch there. Views can't even compare with Llafranc and the Begur/Palafrugell coast. Depending on the dates you want the bulk of really good hôtels on the Costa Brava are now fully booked!
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Daphne wrote:Depending on the dates you want the bulk of really good hôtels on the Costa Brava are now fully booked!
That has never been my experience, we regularly take short breaks on the Costa Brava and have rarely had any problems.
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

We have been looking for a long weekend in July at some of the better hôtels and they are all fully booked. We can find weekday breaks. We are sorted for August because we were able to plan in advance.
SteveB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SteveB »

I can recommend the Hotel Casa Païral in Collioure - attractive, characterful old building with a nice garden and swimming pool. Also has its own car park, which is a definite plus in Collioure. No restaurant, but there are plenty to choose from in the town. We spent a very enjoyable week there last August.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Daphne wrote:We have been looking for a long weekend in July at some of the better hôtels and they are all fully booked. We can find weekday breaks. We are sorted for August because we were able to plan in advance.
I think it depends on how you book, I've just been onto Expedia looking for a long weekend starting on 15 July and sure enough it showed 11 5 star hotels on the Costa brava all fully booked. I then went onto 4 of the hotel's own websites and they all had availability.

I think a lot of hotels don't offer all their rooms on booking websites as they don't want to pay the commission. On the other hand, I might just be lucky