garden bonfires

Been there? Done that? Where to go in the Pyrénées-Orientales

Moderator: Moderators

sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

garden bonfires

Post by sue and paul »

Does anyone know if it is allowed to have a bonfire of garden refuse at the moment?
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Not round here it isn't. Have to wait till end of Sept,with eye-watering fines for non-compliers.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Thanks John. Will comply for once!!!!
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Not sure what the law says about the "incinerateur de jardin" such as they sell in Casto, Roy Merlin, Brico Depôt, etc.
Best to contact the mairie as the rules are not always exactly the same for communities, even though the main rules are for the whole departement.. I know that in certain parts of Le Soler (far from fire risk places such as where we used to live) they were not so strict..

The inconvenience is that one has to cut branches etc to fit inside, but it's surprising how much one can burn in a short time in these things. I always use one of those small hand gas blowlamps to start the fire. they are cheap and extremely efficient for this purpose too!!
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Not keen on large bonfires, and do usually use our old rusty incinerator. But smoke is smoke and I don't need unwanted attention. If all they did was WATER-bomb us from a great height, then it might be worth it...!!!
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Sue, the law is more about fire risk and open bonfires and flying sparks, etc. rather than smoke.. Since I've been in France (nearly 14 years) I've never heard anyone complain about smoke from bonfires..
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

But smoke is smoke ........

Yeah...what I meant really, Roger, was that if smoke is spotted by "them" then it would attract unwanted attention and indicate that I had a fire of some sort. So I won't take the chance, even in the incinerator. Our pyromaniac neighbour hasn't had a bonfire all week, so I'll take my cue from him :lol: :lol: I'd ask him if he would only speak to us...he and his wife just stare back at us when I say a jolly old 'bonjour'. Ne'er mind, eh?
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Roger,the handy little leaflet provided to me by the dept 66 authorities (so in fairness it may NOT apply in 11),says that it is "INTERDIT" to start any fire to burn "vegetaux" between 1 june and 30 sept. It could not be more specific. So whether we are talking sparks,flames smoke or whatever,it's academic. They are BANNED.
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

When fires are permissable ie from Oct to May do you have to notify anyone that you are going to have one? We always have mountains of leaves at this time and up to press have taken shed loads to the decheterrie. It would be great if we could burn them. If we have to ask permission then my language is not up to it yet.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

from Oct to May do you have to notify anyone...

I don't think you have to tell anyone...erm...we never have!!!
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

We have never dared have a fire in case the pompiers turned up. I genuinely do not know what you are allowed to do. As we are in a wooded area and the distance to the trees is less than 50m I thought there may be different rules.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

The first time i did a fire on my potager I was paranoid that the pompiers would turn up , even though I was supposedly in the legal months. I did an earth circle around it and had a ready water supply just in case...... about 10 mins into my fire which was smoking really well with all the dry leaves , grass and leaves when i heard the siren go off! I quicky extinguished it with water and soil, the next time I did one I used a brassier with a lid so the smoke couldn`t bee seen. :roll:
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

I guess because we were living in what was officially a Zone Artisanal and our only neighbour right next door in a private house behind his business used to burn in the incinerater almost any time (provided there was no wind) immediately after a previous rainy day was a bit special.. We took our cue from him.. and he was a bit special too.. several buildings not registered at the mairie, etc. and always at war with anything administrative, especially France Telecom and Electricity de France!!
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

You are supposed to tell the local Pompiers if you are having a garden fire. I'm sure you can get away with broken french along the lines of "Je vais avoir un feu dans mon jardin samedi" Perhaps they will think it's an invitation to a party but they can't claim you didn't tell them.
Kathy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Kathy »

Have written that down Santiago. Mind, those fit pompiers would be an asset to any Party!
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Santiago is right...strictly speaking you have to give the Mairie 3 days notice. It's another of France's barmy rules. (how do you know it will not be raining/windy in 3 days time!?). So everyone (me included) ignores it.

Surely its down to common sense. Just wait for a dry clear,calm day. Then have your fire.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

I've just been to St-André Mairie.

I'm sure most of you already know the following:

There must be no fires, not even in an incinerator. The bottom line on the incinerator question is that even if you are very careful, and it's safe, its use would invalidate insurance.

Water restrictions in St-André are strictly no arrosage between 0600 and 2000. Arrosage includes washing car and similar, and filling swimming pool - basically any activity that requires mains water through a hosepipe, I guess.

No surprises there.

So I'll increase my carbon footprint by driving all our déchets to the excellent déchetterie up the road.
Last edited by sue and paul on Tue 01 Jul 2008 11:01, edited 1 time in total.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Apart from the marginal advantage of less evaporation,does anyone know why it's acceptable to water veg,top up your pool etc during the night,but not during the day? Presumably you're using the same amount of water,whatever time you do it?
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Paul and I have just had that conversation too. Suppose it at least evens out the usage a bit (why is that necessary?) and more to the point, reduces usage generally - maybe one can't be a**ed to do it in the evening or get up early
John & Elaine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Our neighbour....

Post by John & Elaine »

...had an open fire a few days ago and is currently hosepiping his pool from empty 24 hours a day and this is the third day. Rules appear to be for some only!

John
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Lucky for him you're not the sort to denounce him!!
John & Elaine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Lucky for him

Post by John & Elaine »

I could be tempted - he is a complete rat!!

John