Been there? Done that? Where to go in the Pyrénées-Orientales

Moderator: Moderators

thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Museum, St Laurent de Cerdans

Post by thumbelina »

We visited this museum yesterday.

Entry price 2€50 per adult (no reductions for being old!)

On the first floor to one side are a few little exhibits of yesteryear - a chainsaw from the 1940's, a basket weaver exhibit, a forge, a little of the history of the Fete of the Bear. Nothing mindblowing or particularly original, but interesting nonetheless.

The other side were lots of the original machines from when the building was a sandal factory. Photos, machines all dating from between the early 1900's up to the early 1970's. Really interesting stuff.

On the second floor was something I have been longing to see. The permanent exhibition of the Retirada.

Intensely moving, fills you with an overwhelming sadness that you live in a place where this actually happened only seventy year ago. History, most immediate and most local.

Emotionally draining, but I'm so glad I took the time out of a lovely Sunday traipsing around the beautiful High Vallespir, to visit this museum.

One negative, you either need a reasonable level of French or you need someone with you to translate. My brain was working overtime trying to watch the DVD and translate it at the same time for my elderly aunt and uncle!

If your level of French is high enough - this visit comes highly recommended.

PS picked loads of trompettes de mort, girolles and one large cepe! So supper was these cooked in a little persillade. A perfect end to a perfect Sunday! :D
Last edited by thumbelina on Thu 14 Oct 2010 13:10, edited 1 time in total.
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

Hi thumbers :)
If your french is not great :roll:
Is it still worth a visit

Cheers Sav :)
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Truthfully, I think not. The most interesting part of the visit for me were the plaquettes on the wall and the DVD - both of these were in French :(
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

Thanks for letting me know ;)

Cheers Sav :)
Steve&Julie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Steve&Julie »

Thanks for the tip, we are in Coustouges a little further on and I have been past it loads of times but never been in - the swimming pool in St Laurent was nice in Summer and I love the tablecloth shop - they make great Xmas gifts and remind you of the PO when you are back in the UK. I love this area so much.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

me too Julie, me too! :D

And I, too, love the textile shop!! :D
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Well, here's a little ditty that made me chuckle, shrug my shoulders and then say 'well, that's the PO for you!'

We are in the process of arranging a little day out with friends on Sunday and I really wanted to take them to this museum as I know at least one of them will be blown away by it.

I've tried ringing the museum to find their opening hours as they are not marked on the website.

No reply - on several occasions.

I've sent an email.

No reply.

I've just rung the Mairie at Saint Laurent to ask if the museum is open this Sunday to be told that the museum is not open at the weekend during the winter! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Is it me??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: