Moderator: Moderators

nickiwynne
Rank 3
Rank 3

Excavations at Empurires

Post by nickiwynne »

Hello,

Happy and healthy new year to everyone!

I have been reading Thumbelina's posts about Toulouse with interest- we are always on the lookout for places to visit within striking distance of Amelie or en route to/from airports.

Last time we were over (end of Nov) we flew via Girona and took in the site at Empuries in the afternoon on the way back to the airport. I am not sure if this has been covered before but we really enjoyed it and would recommend to anyone in the area. Stunning setting- the weather was perfect for walking outside (not sure if it would be best place to visit in the summer as there is very little shade) and very interesting.

There is a museum included in the entry price (about 6Euros I think) but we ran out of time before we got to it (we had expected to get round everything in a couple of hours but had underestimated the extent of the site.) There is ample parking, a little cafe and good loos...

We particularly liked the fact that the site is still being excavated and so we saw archeologists in action. Fascinating.

We will definitely try to go back on another trip.

Nicki
nickiwynne
Rank 3
Rank 3

Empuries

Post by nickiwynne »

Sorry,

Forgot to say that the excavations are of a Greek town built on the coast and a Roman town built just inland...much more impressive/larger scale than anything we have seen in this country (Fishbourne Palace/Lullingstone villa etc).

Nicki
Anita & Peter
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Anita & Peter »

We wholeheartedly agree. The setting is dramatic with its entire sweep of the bay of Roses through to l'Escala. There are two distinct settlements, the greek town closer to the coast and the roman town above it (look out for the keystone with the carved phallus, always good for a cheap laugh). A fascinating insight into the history of the area and its richness and desirability to foriegners even then. You used to be able to park there and get an hour on the beach too, but we think that entrance is now closed.

The museum is not large or impressive, the site speaks for itself.

St Marti d'Empuries is 5 minutes away and worth a stop, particularly later in the day when the crowds dissipate.
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

One of my stops on a "day trip to Spain" with visitors.

Interestingly, part of the Greek harbour wall has survived for 2000+ years and is still visible in the sea :

http://maps.google.com/maps

Peter
Last edited by mpprh on Tue 26 Jan 2010 09:31, edited 2 times in total.
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Definitely agree. Well worth a stop. Like a sort of mini Pompeii. We've been a couple of times on the way to L'Escala (another place that's good to visit). The beach between Empuries and the town is excellent too.
Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian »

Many thanks for the tip. We spent a good couple of hours wandering around the Greek and Roman site. Very impressive. The beaches look good too - but not quite warm enough at present.

Lunch in L'Escala amazingly good value 3 course menu, bottle of wine, and coffee 23 euros for two people. Incredible.
Archies Beard
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Archies Beard »

The latest Quentin Jardine paperback is set around a character whho lives in St Marti.

Sells a lot of books but I`m not a great fan, although I read this one out of curiosity. The ruins are never mentioned at all.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Ian wrote:Many thanks for the tip. We spent a good couple of hours wandering around the Greek and Roman site. Very impressive. The beaches look good too - but not quite warm enough at present.

Lunch in L'Escala amazingly good value 3 course menu, bottle of wine, and coffee 23 euros for two people. Incredible.
Which place did you go to in L'Escala,Ian?

I've been to most,and,you are right,in the main, they are stunningly good value.
Ian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ian »

John,
Ah! I should have known to make a note of the name of place. - I haven't a clue.

But if you know the town. Then perhaps you can work it out. Imagine the general shape of the coast is an E-W bit, (overlooking Greek ruins coast) which then turns a right angle to go south. Well the E-W bit before it turns south is made up of a double pointed headland. The restaurant we were in was on the western point looking east across a little inlet. We were in a fish restaurant - blue canopy at front, and were looking across at a pizza place across the inlet/beach/water.

Hope that makes sense!
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Rose »

One of the best restaurants I have been to in L'Escala is in a building which looks like a greenhouse, on the edge of the port. There are often queues outside .

Another one is on the corner before this restaurant and is run by an English lady. Again, excellent food as far as I was concerned.

We also used to go to an Italian one, in the middle harbour to watch the sun go down and eat.

I love L'Escala. It is famous for its anchovies like Collioure. Would recommend to anyone on this forum to book a couple of nights there to explore the area and for wonderful meals out.

We had a friend with an apartment in L'Escala and when we visited her we decided to buy our house in the south of France.

There is also a bar by the old beach which has the grumpiest waiter in the world. We were sitting outside here when the Twin Towers were hit and couldn't understand what what was going on as we looked at the television inside.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Rose wrote:One of the best restaurants I have been to in L'Escala is in a building which looks like a greenhouse, on the edge of the port. There are often queues outside .

I think I know the one,Rose. Quite an incongruous modern building,called,I think Llar dels Pescadors. Their 8€ all in lunch is legendary.

I much prefer Escala to Collioure. Just as pretty,far better beaches,but without the hype,and tourist prices,nor impossible parking.