Been there? Done that? Where to go in the Pyrénées-Orientales

Moderator: Moderators

hamyat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Yellow Train

Post by hamyat »

Hi,
I've just read the piece about the special offer on the Yellow train. We did this trip a few years ago but would like to take advantage of hopping off the train to visit the hot baths or ski resorts. Does anyone know how we book this from the UK? We are due to be down in the PO just before the end of March and thought it would be sensible to book before we leave.
Many thanks.
ryanm63
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Yellow Train

Post by ryanm63 »

hamyat wrote:Hi,
I've just read the piece about the special offer on the Yellow train. We did this trip a few years ago but would like to take advantage of hopping off the train to visit the hot baths or ski resorts. Does anyone know how we book this from the UK? We are due to be down in the PO just before the end of March and thought it would be sensible to book before we leave.
Many thanks.
My French is not good enough to be fully sure that this link will help, but in may, so here it is - good luck

http://www.ter-sncf.com/Regions/langued ... 3a22-30662

Malcolm
Regards

Malcolm
Jackie E
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jackie E »

we haven't been on the train jaune for a year or two, but it used not to be possible to book in advance of the day you wish to travel - very frustrating, as we turned up a number of times to be turned away. Outside of high season, though, we've never had a problem.
molliesassy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by molliesassy »

My parents are out there next week and I have been looking at recommending a trip on the Yellow Train, especially as it is only €10 return.
I would like to know a few things first - if they go as far as Font Romeu, how do they get to the town? Are the streets in the town clear of snow? (sorry to sound so naive but none of us has been in a ski resort before)
Will they be ok in 'sensible' shoes or are snow boots required? - I dont think they will go if they have to wear special clothing. We were in Font romeu during the summer so I know there are plenty of shops and restaurants to keep them happy for a few hours. Any tips or advice would be appreciated :)
"click, click"
cufc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cufc »

We went up to Font Romeu yesterday on the 1 euro bus and it was snowing lightly but not much on pavements.

When we went on the Yellow Train in January I think there were navettes to the town but we didn't have time to go up.
molliesassy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by molliesassy »

Thanks cufc. Thats encouraging to know that the town isn't knee deep in snow. Can I ask where did you get the bus from and how long did it take to get to Font Romeu?
"click, click"
cufc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cufc »

We got on in Prades but it had come from Perpignan. It took us an hour and a quarter and we thoroughly enjoyed the ride. We only stopped at a couple of places and it meant no one had to drive. We also got off in the town centre so had a quick coffee and got the next bus back.
admiral
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by admiral »

Where in Perps does the train leave from and is it near the bus terminus
cufc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cufc »

You get the ordinary train from La Gare then change onto the Yellow Train at Ville Franche-worth a look round there too if you have time.
admiral
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by admiral »

Hi Cufc , thanks

Is the train station and bus station in Perps the same thing or are they some way away from each other, need to get a bus into Perps and hopefully take the train from there
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mand »

admiral wrote:Hi Cufc , thanks

Is the train station and bus station in Perps the same thing or are they some way away from each other, need to get a bus into Perps and hopefully take the train from there
the train station is some distance from the bus station but is walkable as for distance hubby tells me it might be up to 2k (i'm no good with metric so i take his world for it) we have walked it
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Try a search using Google Maps. Rail station is GARE SNCF, bus station is GARE ROUTIERE
cufc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cufc »

Quite a few buses into town stop at the Gare. Check the bus route details.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

sue and paul wrote:Try a search using Google Maps. Rail station is GARE SNCF, bus station is GARE ROUTIERE
Yes,France,like Britain, has this bizarre notion that it's best to site a town's train station somewhere completely different from the bus station. The two in Norwich are as far apart as they are in Perps.

In sensible countries like Holland,Belgium and Denmark,they are usually in the same site,if not building.
mand
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mand »

In Perpignan there are also the 2 little free buses (le p’tit bus gratuit
au coeur de Perpignan) that go around the town running every 7 minutes i know the one goes to the bus station but how close they run to the railway station i do not know.

but they are quite good for getting around running everyday except sundays and bank holidays (of course) from 7:45 - 12:20 and then 13:15 to 19:40