Guided tours of Rivesaltes concentration camp

Been there? Done that? Where to go in the Pyrénées-Orientales

Moderator: Moderators

Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Guided tours of Rivesaltes concentration camp

Post by Kate »

I know that there are quite a few of us interested in the never ending results of man's inhumanity to man.

There will be guided visits, concerts, film, workshops, music over the Heritage weekend at the Rivesaltes Camp Joffre.

If you're feeling a bit down, too hot, too cold, need to lose weight, bit bored with the beach...... go spend an hour or so at this place. There's nothing really exciting there to see... a few monuments at the entrance, some broken down huts and toilet blocks....... but if you listen very carefully, you can hear voices fluttering in the wind, asking why.

http://www.anglophone-direct.com/Banyul ... -programme?
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Guided tours of Rivesaltes concentration camp

Post by thumbelina »

Kate wrote:I...... but if you listen very carefully, you can hear voices fluttering in the wind, asking why.
beautiful words, Kate. :cry:
Rivesaltes Johnny
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rivesaltes Johnny »

ditto

I have wandered around the site after several visits with my young daughter and have come away with a heavy heart that asks so many questions about man's inhumanity to man...

To think the site was still in use just some 30 years ago beggars belief

Worth a visit at anytime and a place we show all our visitors when at our home in Rivesaltes
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Definitely worth a visit but not if "you're feeling a bit down". You are likely to come away even more depressed over man's inhumanity to man.

Russell
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

No, you're right Russell. I should have said 'if you're feeling a bit sorry for yourself' It kind of puts things into perspective somehow.
collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by collioure_bee »

Am going there en route to Milau Vidaduct sometime in late September early October.
"She knew the price of everything, but the value of nothing"

If it's hard to do, it's not worth doing.