nickiwynne
Rank 3
Rank 3

Museu Memorial de l'Exili and La Maternite d'Elne

Post by nickiwynne »

Hello,

When were over a couple of weeks ago we visited the museum in La Jonquera

http://www.museuexili.cat/index.php/en.html

It was such an interesting place -only 4 euros each so we thought it would be a fairly quick tour- but infact we were there for nearly 3 hours. We had free handsets in English and most of the artefacts/photos are in presentation cases - which might make it more difficult if the museum is busy. The museum focuses on the Spanish civil war, the Retirada (journeys and camps) and the cold war years during which Franco was 'rehabilitated' and welcomed back in to the politcal fold. It also includes testimony from exiles living away from Spain.

Two days later we visited the La Maternite d'Elne. While not nearly as polished as a museum (it is still a work in progress - we were a bit concerned by the signs saying '19 maximum on the upper floors'! ) it still made a fascinating visit and a good follow up to the MUME.

Definitely recommended for anyone interested in the region's more recent history.

Nicki
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Thanks for that Nicki. Have been meaning to go to La Jonq for a while and somehow not got round to it, but it sounds worth it. Last time I went looking for culture over the border, I nearly got involved with the official opening of the largest brothel in Europe, and in kind of put me off wandering round on my own! :oops:
nickiwynne
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nickiwynne »

The museum is definitely worth a visit but I know what you mean, Kate.

We have had our place in Amelie over 6 years and have managed to avoid going to La Jonquera till now.....the museum could not be more central (on the carrer major) but there was nowhere decent for lunch or even a drink afterwards - and I didn't want to venture out in to the more colourful parts of the town!

Nicki
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

There are some decent little restos and cafes in the old part of Jonquera and there is also a confiserie that makes the best turron you've ever had the pleasure to taste.

The museum sounds great Nicky. Have you done the Museum of the Retirada at St Laurent? That's pretty good too.
nickiwynne
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nickiwynne »

Hi,

Thanks for the tip about restaurants etc but can't see us rushing back La Jonquera. It seemed incredibly quiet there in October.

Haven't done St Laurent yet. On the 'to do' list.

Whilst we are talking little museums, in the summer we visited the free museum in Arles Sur Tech set in the old fabric factory. It was amazing - like it had been stuck in a time warp...complete with cobwebs and dust....but really interesting photos telling the story of the flood which destroyed many buildings alongside the Tech in the 1940s. Closed now unfortunately but worth a visit next summer.

Nicki
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

It's not exactly the hive of activity it must be admitted! lol
The market has some great charcuterie on a Sunday morning, mind!!

I know the museum in Arles, it's great isn't it? :D Fascinating stuff!