Been there? Done that? Where to go in the Pyrénées-Orientales

Moderator: Moderators

TOM AND BARB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Barcelona visit advice

Post by TOM AND BARB »

Hi,

Flying out to Gerona in April for a vist to Sorede but have hired a car and thought we would spend a couple of days in Barcelona first.
Having driven through Barcelona to a Hotel near the airport last February I didnt really enjoy the experience of big ,unfamiliar city driving ----in a LHD car to boot.

Have considered taking the bus from Gerona airport to Barcelaon and leaving the car until we return by bus to Gerona airport for our onward journey to Sorede--but the sums dont add up and it would be a lot more expensive as a family.

Am therefore considering driving close to Barcelona without having to drive into the city itself, staying 2 nights in a hotel and catching a train into the city for day trips.
Can anyone suggest a good place where train access is easy/quick and reasonably priced.
Does anyone know what Badalona or El Masnou or Matarou are like and is there easy access into the city ?

Would prefer not to travel to Barcelona from Gerona/Figueres by train as its too much travelling each day.

Any advice gratefully received.
cbrace
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cbrace »

Try the Novotel at Sant Cugat. Very pleasant hotel with a train station within 5 minutes walk, which takes about 30 minutes into the center of the city.
We stayed there before we moved here and it worked great.
Rose
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Rose »

Leave your handbag and valuables in the hotel safe and just take a security bag which you hang around your neck under your clothing for cash and passport.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I would have thought going by bus into Barcelona at the start and hiring your car later would be the most economic, simplest and most enjoyable way to do it.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

I have heard a lot about Barcelona and its a great city and this content is making me more anxious about this city,I will manage to travel there and will get the knowledge here.Thanks.
blackrabbitz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by blackrabbitz »

isn't the salvadore dali museum there?
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Salvador Dali Museum is in Figueres
Lanark Lass
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lanark Lass »

There are several Gaudi Buildings to see in Barcelona - also Guell Park. The metro in Barcelona is very good for getting around the various sites.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

sue and paul wrote:Salvador Dali Museum is in Figueres
..and another one in Portlligat bay, north of Cadaques.

Russell.
annawalmsley
Rank 0
Rank 0

Stopping in and around Barcelona

Post by annawalmsley »

It's a long time ago you posted your question regarding where to stop in and around Barcelona.... But should you need any advice in the future concerning Barcelona please do not hesitate in contacting me. I lived in Barcelona for 10 years previous to moving to France (66) and know the province like the back of my hand...
Anna Walmsley Weddings & Events provides a complete range of destination wedding and corporate event services to create unique experiences in the South of France and Barcelona.