Hertz car rental - top tip

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Hertz car rental - top tip

Post by Webdoc »

I thought I would re-post a fantastic tip I found on the forum several years ago that has saved us heaps of money since then.

If you book car hire from Hertz there's an option on the top right corner of the page to select what country you're from. Bizarrely perhaps, if you change this option you will frequently get a different price quoted. You have to shop around a bit to find the best deal but it's often worth the effort.

It seems the money you pay goes to Hertz in the country you say you're booking from, not the country you're actually renting the car in, and the price reflect those "local factors". So if it's half-term, say, in the UK but not in Ireland the price may differ. On one extraordinary occasion I found a FIVE-FOLD difference.

ALSO if you book via the link on the RyanAir website it automatically adds a "CDP code" in the relevant box on the Hertz booking page that gives you RyanAir's special rates - BUT for rentals over ? 3 days you have to put up with their miserable fuel-purchase deal where you have to buy and pay for a whole tank of fuel even if you don't use it. A blatant rip-off. It might be worth your while changing this CDP code to: "569608" which give you 10% off BUT you MUST pay by Mastercard for this to be valid.