British photo card driving licence

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Just as an update I have now got my new photo card and paper licence. I will be changing to a french one next year when they adopt the photo card.
Last edited by Sue on Fri 21 Dec 2012 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
Dylan
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Sue wrote:Just as an update I have now got my new photo card and paper licence. I applied for it using my son's address as he bought our UK property and that was the address on my old licence. Its only for 8 years to take me up to 70. When the french bring in the photo card at the end of next year I will apply for a french licence.
You probably shouldn't admit to this on a public forum :-)
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

I decided to change to a French licence as I will be 73 in September and would have to renew my UK licence yet again. The lady at my mairie gave me the correct form 'Demande de Delivrance de Permis de Counduire' and photocopied my passport and both parts of my UK licence. I got my photo taken in a booth. I took them to the nearest sous-prefecture which is about 26 kms away. I gave them my passport, my original UK licence, my photocopies , my birth, marriage and divorce certificates, my change of name deed (that always throws them), a bill from EDF, my last French Tax Return,my new photos and waited hopefully.
Of course, there was something missing, which the lady at my mairie had either not known about or forgot to tell me. You have to contact DVLA and get a certificate to say your licence is valid and there are no infringements which have not been put onto your licence.
She also told me that the photoopies have to be in colour.
I rang DVLA and very helpful Welsh man took my details and said he would post the form D737 to me. I found a shop that could make me colour photocopies. Once I receive the form, I will make the journey to Thonon again, and hope that they don't come up with some other reason to refuse my French licence.

I could have renewed my UK licence using my sister's address in the UK - I asked the helpful chap at DVLA and he said it would have been perfectly O.K.- the just need a UK address because they are not allowed to post your new licence overseas.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I was told by a lady in our local Mairie that it can take 3 months+ to issue the French licence and that the slip of paper they give you in lieu is only sufficient for producing to a French gendarme and does not allow you to drive in other countries. I left mine for the time being in case I had to return to the UK and would have been unable to hire a car with no licence to produce. I obtained a new British photo card.
Dylan
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

That time lap must relate to exchange licences , Jennifer had her first driving licence within a month.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

If you surrender your UK Driving License at the Mairie, you will receive a French License endorsed with the categories for which you are entitled to drive. Ours took about 3 weeks.
It DOES show the UK expiry date (aged 70) but our French licences do not currently have an expiry date.
We've had no problems with car-hire in the U.K. so why keep a license that expires?
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I think I can relate to what Sue is saying, she is loath at the momment to exchange her uk licence due to the age of her Dad and his health, Sue would not be able to hire a car in UK with the bit of paper issued in the interim should the need arrise to go to Uk.....
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

My mairie directed me to the sous-prefecture - so I presume they were not able to deal with the exchange. I have no intention of hiring a car for the foreseeable future as my next overseas trip is to Egypt and I wouldn't dream of driving there!