Theft on TGV

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

CD
Rank 3
Rank 3

Theft on TGV

Post by CD »

I came back from a business trip to Brussels yesterday on the direct TGV and had my suitcase stolen from the luggage rack somewhere along the way.

There was about 3000 euros worth of items in the case. It weighed about 30kg, so it wasn't picked up by accident.

I suppose it's more likely to happen when you travel First Class. It's definitely the worst upgrade I've ever paid for...

The station manager at Perpignan said that people get on when the train stops and get off again just before it leaves with a case.

Next time I'll fly Ryanair to Charleroi as at least I'll know I'm getting robbed going in!

And, I've come back with a stinking cold! Bah, humbug.

You have been warned.

Chris
:cry:
tubs
Rank 4
Rank 4

TGV

Post by tubs »

Sorry to hear that how awful for you. We travelled back to the UK on Wednesday by TGV first class and we had to leave our small case out of our eyesight. At every station either myself or other half jumped up to check it. It meant that one of us had to remain alert until we reached Valance when the train is non stop to Paris. Unfortunately the luggage racks are so shallow they won't take even the smallest case.
Incidentally we travel down a lot by TGV and always choose the upper deck feeling that luggage maybe just a little safer up there. Also we have seen some people use a bike chain to secure their cases to the rack.

Hope your cold gets better soon.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

So sorry to hear that Chris. It's a horrible feeling when these things happen. Just important to keep it in perspective I suppose and remember that, in the great scheme of things, it's only material, replacable, and not comparable to health or family problems. Sorry if that sounds a bit smug....and always easy for other people to say, but just the way I try to rationalise these situations.

Now the cold...that's another story. That is really unacceptable on these sunny days! :lol: