Buying Sterling

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Buying Sterling

Post by malcolmcooper »

Apologies if this is a daft question but I need some sterling. Never having done so before can anyone tell me the best way to buy some sterling cash with euros please? UK airport exchange rate is poor to say the least.
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
interiors66
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by interiors66 »

If necessary I change a small amount at the airport then at the post office when I'm there.
Geoman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Geoman »

Give your mates the mid exchange rate, that's what I do. I buy any unwanted €,s from workmates etc & offer them mid rate everyone wins.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

A bit late in the day, but I have found OK rates for cash from Travelex - if you buy online and pick up from one of their airport locations/agencies. A lot worse, still, than cashless transfers, but not too bad. I used to get wonderful rates for USD, 15 years ago, from a foreign exchange booth near Covent Garden Market: they were getting so much traffic the other way that they would almost pay you to take their dollars away, so I suppose that you could go where Brits change their money the other way. Collioure? God knows?