Help

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Help

Post by Daphne »

I dropped a bottle of sesame oil and the top came out splattering a mat painted wall! I realise it will have to be repainted but in the meantime I am trying to get rid of as much oil as possible. I have tried the hot iron on top of kitchen paper to no avail, please can anybody advise!!!!!!!!!!
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Have you got any chalk ? You need to use the long edge( like you would do a rubbing) go over the area till you see the chalk not the oil. Leave it to dry to absorb, then ligtly rub the area with a clean soft cloth slightly moistened.

Not sure if talc would have the same effect, but the oil needs to be absorbed.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

Thanks Debbie, I haven't got chalk, I'll use talc tonight and if it doesn't work I'll buy chalk tomorrow. That's a remedy I've never heard of but seems to make sense.
Ariègeoise
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ariègeoise »

Another option is to buy a little pot of something called Terre de Sommières, which is a bit like Fullers' Earth - you just sprinkle it on oil stains (on clothes, terracotta or whatever), leave it for a few hours to absorb the oil then hoover it up. Easy to find in the brico sheds - Starwax make it but probably other marques too.

As a lover (and messy eater) of spaghetti aglio e olio it's something I'm never without!
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

Thanks for the tip of 'Terre de Sommières', I have never heard of it but as I'm going to Perpignan tomorrow I'll pick some up to have in in case of anymore mishaps! I applied the talc last night and it has worked wonders! The stain is still visable, I've applied more this morning, at least it's delayed having to re-decorate so soon after it was originally done!