Carte Gris for an HP U.K car

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Gael-force
Rank 1
Rank 1

Carte Gris for an HP U.K car

Post by Gael-force »

I have moved to France and brought my car with me from the U.K. I want to insure the car here but in order to do so I need a carte Gris. I have researched all the other threads on the subject but none mention cars that are still being paid off In the U.K.
Does anyone know if i can register my car in France even although i am still payng it off in the U.K?
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

If it is literally "HP", it does not yet belong to you, so it seems unlikely that you could change its country of registration.
Gael-force
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Gael-force »

Thanks Martyn94. I am still 12 months from paying it off and this is what's worrying me as i am not in a position to pay it off fully in one go. I love the car and the thought of driving back and returning it to the U.K is a total headache. I appreciate i should have done a lot more research before i left the u.k but the move itself was taking up all my time. I've contacted my dealer and i'm awaiting a reply. I have u.k insurance but it only allows me out of the country for 60 days.
Davidsimon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Davidsimon »

Change or insurer might be the only way forwards
http://www.money.co.uk/car-insurance/un ... urance.htm
malcolmcooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by malcolmcooper »

Check these people out for insurance http://www.andrewcopeland.co.uk/green_card_motor.html
Malcolm Cooper

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
kathyw
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kathyw »

Try axa international. They insure UK registered cars
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Axa told me they would not insure a Uk reg car, alas.
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

When you re-register a U.K. car in France, the issuer of the Carte Grise will inform the DVLA in Swansea. HPI will be informed and thence the legal owners of the vehicle, the finance company.
Standard terms in all U.K. Leasing, Lease Purchase, Hire Purchase and Contract Purchase documents PROHIBIT the Hirer/Lessor from what you are doing as you are deemed to be "attempting to put the asset beyond the reach of the rightful owner"
You must clear the outstanding finance if you wish to keep the vehicle in France.
Last edited by Smiley G on Mon 20 Apr 2015 07:33, edited 1 time in total.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

There is a big difference between what you can get away with and what your legal obligations are.

Almost certainly your HP agreement will prohibit the export of your car but if you keep making the payments the nobody is likely to hassle you, unless of course you formally try and export it and register it in France, in which case the finance company will find out.

The problem is that if you have moved here and no longer reside in the UK then you are obliged to register the car in France. Continuing insurance in the UK at an address where you no longer live is all well and good until you have an accident, insurance companies love an excuse to decline a claim.

I insured a UK reg car with Allianz when me moved here but they would only do it while we were in the process of registering it in France.

If you only have a year to go then you might be able to string them along for that time but your best solution would be to get a personal loan, pay of the HP and do it all properly.
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

I forgot to mention in my previous post that the French authorities, in addition to a Certificate of Conformity from the vehicle manufacturers, will require evidence that you hold title to the vehicle. This, at present, cannot be complied with as the vendor will have sold the vehicle to the finance company and thus transferred title to them on receipt of payment. You only get title when you've cleared the H.P. and the finance company provide you with evidence accordingly.
As Allan stated, pay it off and move forward!
One small point, check the finance agreement thoroughly, not all contracts are designed to allow the customer to gain title to the asset, e.g. A Lease. You can pay off all the remaining rentals and STILL not own the vehicle.
Gael-force
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Gael-force »

Thank you to everybody for your replies, they are extremely helpful. Time to move forward and pay off this car and register it in France. :D
Smiley G
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Smiley G »

Gael-force wrote:Thank you to everybody for your replies, they are extremely helpful. Time to move forward and pay off this car and register it in France. :D
As a tip, make sure the finance company give you a letter passing title (ownership). Keep your copy of the original hiring agreement together with your receipt for the settlement funds and anything else they give you.
You may wish to go back to the U.K. with the car and re-register it again (from a French reg. to an English one)
There are plenty of French insurers out there but remember to tell them if the vehicle IS right-hand drive, as it may impact on the premiums (certain parts will be RHD specific)
Good luck and welcome to PO :lol:
Gael-force
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Gael-force »

Thank you for that, it's a labourious task but needs done.
p.s i'm loving the life here in the PO, i can't believe it took me 38 years to move to this beautiful part of the world :D
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Welcome Gael-force from all at P O Life. Good luck with the car registration.
Dylan
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Dylan
Gael-force
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Gael-force »

Many Thanks Sue