Traveling from Scotland to Perpignan

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

rainbow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Traveling from Scotland to Perpignan

Post by rainbow »

My wife and I are planning to travel from Scotland to Perpignan in late June,perhaps members who have taken this route could advise which route to travel
Best Wishes
rogb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rogb »

The only direct flight from Scotland to the area is Edinburgh/Beziers with Ryanair. This is summer only at the moment. Twice a week on Wednesday and Sunday. Travel onward to Perpignan by car-hire, or navette bus to Beziers or Agde stations, then train.

Otherwise you should look at Edinburgh/Stansted by Ryanair or EasyJet, then changing planes to Ryanair Stansted to Perpignan. This is not helped by the very early timing - except on Sundays - of most flights from Stansted to Perpignan, so in practice you have to spend the night at Stansted beforehand.

Other possibilities could involve changing at Stansted onto Ryanair flights to Carcassonne, or flying from Edinburgh to Barcelona El Prat, and then in each case hiring a car or taking the train to Perpignan (but the TGVs on this route are few and far between). I don't think there's currently anything direct from Scotland to Girona but I may be wrong - at one time there was a Ryanair route to Prestwick.

We've also looked at Ryanair flights from Scotland to Dublin and then changing onto the Air Lingus summer flight to Perpignan, or Flybe Edinburgh/Southampton/ Perpignan, but these routes are either very expensive or the timings don't work.

I've managed to do the whole trip from Edinburgh to Perpignan by train in a day, but it makes for a long day and there wasn't much spare time for connections in London and Paris (where you have to transit from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon, best done by RER metro train).
Helen
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Helen »

Another option at the moment is Glasgow international to Carcassonne. Flights are on Wednesdays and Saturdays. You can then either hire a car or take the train to Perpignan, changing at Narbonne.

In the past I've also taken a train direct from Glasgow Central to Manchester airport, and then flown Ryanair to Girona. But this year the flight times are not as practical.