Applying for French Driving licence

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Anniseed
Rank 2
Rank 2

Applying for French Driving licence

Post by Anniseed »

Just wondering if anyone has recently applied for a French Driving licence from Perpignan? I am in process... and they have asked me for a Certificate of entitlement, despite my having my original licence.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

I'm interested to know about this, as I'll be exchanging my UK license soon. 2 years ago OH had to get a certificate of entitlement, easily, from DVLA Swansea, but that was because there were errors on his UK license, which had been there since the 70's and gone unnoticed until he got his French license and it was missing several very important categories! It was a muddle caused by DVLA, but Perpignan office issued him with full correct license once he showed them the certificate
66france
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 66france »

I need to change my UK driving licence to french, some say you need it translated by a professional, and stamped and others say they walked into the Prefecture filled in the form with no palava.

Has anybody changed there licence recently.

Thanks
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

A couple of years ago, you simply went to prefecture or a large gendarmerie, filled in some forms, handed over your British licence, and received your French one through the post quite quickly. Definitely no translation required. This could all have changed because I haven’t looked into it for a few years, so not a very helpful answer! :oops:
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

An application for a French driving licence must now be done on line. No more walking into the Prefecture.
Dylan
Kit
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kit »

Sue/Dylan is of course absolutely right, since September 2017 you can only exchange your UK (or other EU/EEA) driving licence for a French one by filling in an online form.
I think you then have to print off the online form and send it with all the necessary supporting documents to an address in Nantes (?).
Has anyone done this since the new system started? I'm about to try!
Or is it going to be simpler to wait 14 months until Brexit happens, as under the new arrangements, non-EU/EEA driving licences still have to be exchanged at the local prefecture/sub-prefecture, where at least you can talk to a real person!
Nick
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Nick »

Kit - I am about to apply for an exchange licence too, as my UK one expires in October. You seem to be correct with the forms (cerfa_14879*01 & 14948*01 ref 06), which have to be posted to Nantes. But I think the address shown on the helpful Angloinfo.com website is wrong - I think it should be: CERT EPE, TSA 63527, 44035 Nantes Cedex 01. (See link below)
It seems you should also make an appointment with the Perpignan Prefecture (13h to 15h30 Tues & Thurs only) to make sure that you have gathered all the documents you need before posting them off to Nantes.
I have just completed most of the questions on the 2 forms but am uncertain how to answer a couple on form 14879*01: On the "Commune de naissance" line it also asks for "Departement ou Collective d'outre-mer"??? Don't know whether to leave blank or put "99" (which works on some other forms).
Also on the table with all the driving categories and start/expiry dates, it asks for the "Code departement" for each entry. What to put, if anything??
Any ideas anyone?

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/france ... -a-licence
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

For the question of the department for Brits it is always 99.
For the driving licence you have to make an appointment at the Prefecture and go in with all your paperwork. They will check everything there.