police checks Figueres

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

police checks Figueres

Post by sue and paul »

Have now put this post in correct thread, and also jumping ahead of spam too...

We have arranged to meet friends for lunch at Sancho Panza near Figueres one day this week. We've heard of police checks lasting hours...does anyone know about them? Am wondering if it's worth the hassle
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: police checks Figueres

Post by martyn94 »

sue and paul wrote:Have now put this post in correct thread, and also jumping ahead of spam too...

We have arranged to meet friends for lunch at Sancho Panza near Figueres one day this week. We've heard of police checks lasting hours...does anyone know about them? Am wondering if it's worth the hassle
I've found that Google maps is quite good at "real time" traffic information. Just now it has 59 minutes outbound from here and 68 minutes coming back. The app/website "Waze" used to be better, but Google bought them, so I imagine that there is now no material difference. They get feedback automatically from people using their app to navigate, so it should be reasonably current.
Pighunter
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Pighunter »

I passed through today in the 4x4. Went through St Laurent/Coustouges to Figueres and planned to come back through La Jonquera/Perthus but traffic was very heavy into La Jonquera so came back via La Vajol/Las Illas on the short piste.

We were stopped at 2 controls but on those roads not surprisingly there were no delays.

Main roads I believe are another story.
Florence
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Florence »

It's not the police checks that are the problem, but the fact that only half the péage gates at Le Boulou north-bound are open.
dsd
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dsd »

Pighunter wrote:I passed through today in the 4x4. Went through St Laurent/Coustouges to Figueres and planned to come back through La Jonquera/Perthus but traffic was very heavy into La Jonquera so came back via La Vajol/Las Illas on the short piste.

We were stopped at 2 controls but on those roads not surprisingly there were no delays.

Main roads I believe are another story.
Made the huge mistake today of thinking that a lot of people had left and the weather was good, so I could risk a shopping trip to La Jonq!! Easy drive there, one and a half hours to come back

Pighunter, is the road/track you mention suitable for a (fairly rustic!) car and could you please remind me where you pick up the road for La Vajol in La Jonq?
Pighunter
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Pighunter »

The short piste of about 2 km can be negotiated carefully in a car.

You can either head for Macanet/Coustouges from the Figueres road and turn right just before Macanet to La Vajol or from La Jonquera there is a big road that goes there from one of the many roundabouts. I am not sure about the signposting from La Jonquera as I have only ever descended there from La Vajol but I am pretty sure it will be signposted.

A useful work around.
dsd
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dsd »

Thank you for the info; I was kicking myself yesterday for not looking into that route before I left
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

For some reason, I have developed vertigo over the last few decades, more or less behind my back. I noticed it the second time I went up the leaning tower of Pisa: admittedly it was a bit more tilted than the first time, but not so very much so. I used to go rock-climbing and pot-holing in my youth, but the mere thought of it makes me feel very badly queasy now. I think that posts like this ought to come with a "trigger warning", though I am not in most respects politically correct.
dsd
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dsd »

Thanks Kate. I had forgotten the article but have dug out the paper version from my PO Life archives; I keep them, firstly because I plan to do all the walks one day! and secondly, they're great for guests, giving them info and ideas of things to do while they're here :D
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Thanks for all the replies.

We have actually been that way twice last week, as it turns out. There were horrendous delays on 1 of the trips, both on the autoroute and RN, worse returning to France than Spain-bound. The second trip back was unimpeded, as we came via La Vajol, which was (h)airy and picturesque. Interesting monument to Luis Companys on the border (not that the border is even marked up there). Worth the trip, even if you're NOT trying to avoid traffic queues.

We also sallied forth along the coast road on a 3rd trip, to Playa de Garbet, between Cholera and Llança, and traffic was pretty much free flowing there and back.

Not long now until we're left in peace again! :D :D