Telepeage and Via-T

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Telepeage and Via-T

Post by Allan »

For some years now, we have had 2 badges in our cars for motorway tolls in France and in Spain.

In February Vinci told me that my Telepeage badge would work in Spain, but only as far as Barcelona. I have no idea why they have the annoying geographic restriction.

They say that if you don’t want the telepeage badge to be charged then remove it from the windscreen and put it in a metal foil bag.

Yesterday, I put it to the test and completely removed the Spanish badge before heading off to Spain.

Needless to say, the test was a miserable failure and the barriers refused to open.

I am sure they mean well but this is an ‘upgrade’ that I could happily do without.

In France, I always have to drive really close to the barriers before the badge is recognised, whereas the Spanish badge activates the barrier from some metres away. Yesterday, I drove up to the barrier like I would in France and it didn’t open but of course when I tried to reverse to take a ticket, the car behind had driven right up behind me.

Has anyone else found the system to work?
Karen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Karen »

Hello Allan

It worked for us without any problems on 3rd March.

Karen
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Karen wrote:Hello Allan

It worked for us without any problems on 3rd March.

Karen
Do you normally have to drive right up to the barrier? Is it any different in Spain?
Karen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Karen »

Spain it’s definitely more responsive from a distance.
In France we’ve experienced both, having to drive right up to the barrier before you get the reassuring beep and occasionally it beeps just after passing where the ticket machine is situated and the car not having to come to a stop.
Florence
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Florence »

My husband went through the border péage with the French badge, but it wouldn't let him off at Figures! The girl told him to use his Spanish one. The scanners in France are positioned near the barrier, the Spanish ones are at the entrance to the gate. Worth knowing - if there are already 2 cars in the gate, stay well back, otherwise the badge doesn't register.
Karen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Karen »

Thank you Florence,
That’s good to know.
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

Thanks for the heads up on that. I have just ordered a replacement for my France only BIP & GO badge. The new one should work throughout Spain as well as in France. It's the same deal. You only pay a subscription for any months in which it is used.

Russell