Eurostar to Avignon

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Eurostar to Avignon

Post by alan »

Unfortunately, I see the BBC is now reporting:

"Eurostar's direct summer services to Lyon, Avignon and Marseilles, which were meant to start in May, will no longer be run at all in 2020 or 2021. Instead, the rail company will focus on its main routes between London, Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam".
nickiwynne
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Eurostar to Avignon

Post by nickiwynne »

Hello Alan,
Despite Eurostar’s best efforts I managed to find a way to circumvent their desire for us to take a voucher for our cancelled return journey to Avignon next month.
Hidden in the faq pages you can ask for a refund (even on non refundable tickets as long as Eurostar is doing the cancelling). Today I received a message saying the request for a refund had been approved (!) and we should be reimbursed within 10 days. Of course the proof of the pudding etc.
Still waiting for an Easter refund from Ryanair ......
Nicki
nickiwynne
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nickiwynne »

Just an update....Eurostar refunded the money yesterday and we’d already had the car hire refund last week ( car rentals.co.uk) so a pleasing result!
Still waiting for Ryanair refund for Easter flights but you can’t have everything.....
Nicki
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alan »

Hi Nicki

That's good. How are you planning to travel now? We are still hoping to fly Ryanair from Stansted to Perpignan at the end of the month.

By the way, I have been reminded that it used to be possible to travel Eurostar to Lille and change there by simply crossing platforms for a train to the Region, thus avoiding a change of stations in Paris. I don't know if that is still possible. Someone might be able to say.

Alan
gleber
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by gleber »

reply to Alan re Eurostar to Lille.

Yes it is still possible to take Eurostar to Lille and then travel on to Perpignan.
On 3rd March this year we travelled from Dunbar to London then took Eurostar to Lille. As we had set off early from Scotland we stayed overnight at Lille Europe Hotel then took the 0900 train the following morning, Lille Europe to Valance TGV then the 1328 train Valance TGV to Perpignan. It is possible to do this without staying overnight, there is usually a change involved.

We used a Global Interrail Pass and all went to plan, a very pleasant way to travel but then of course Covid 19 hit while we where there but that is another story.

Take care.
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alan »

That's very helpful for future reference, thank you.

Alan
nickiwynne
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nickiwynne »

Yes, we contemplated the train via Lille.
But have decided to drive as it then gives us more flexibility for return dates.
We have bought a fully flexible ferry ticket......
Nicki
GrahamC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GrahamC »

Having suffered the bone jarring, rock hard Eurostar seats to Paris, the thought of having to sit on them all the way to Avignon was too much. Far better to switch to the TGV asap!
nickiwynne
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Calais to Amélie les Bains!

Post by nickiwynne »

Hello All,
We arrived safely in Amelie last night after a truly fantastic journey by car from Calais.
First time we’d driven in about 20 years and we are so glad we did. Ferry was on time and crossing smooth. Roads were empty, no queues at any peages, Service stations were quiet with impressive covid19 measures in place. A great overnight stop in the beautiful ‘ royal‘ city of Loches.....let’s hope the return leg will be as straightforward. But at least I can fill the car with lovely French goodies!
Take care, everyone.
Nicki
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Enjoy your stay Nicki.
nickiwynne
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nickiwynne »

Thank you, Kate.
Karen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Karen »

Glad to hear it was such a smooth and positive journey.
We have family coming via the Chunnel on Sunday with an overnight near Bourges and then on to St. Chinian. Hopefully they have a good experience too.

Karen
nickiwynne
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nickiwynne »

Hi Karen,
I’m sure they will. I think Sunday/ Monday journey helped.
Have a lovely time with your visitors.
Nicki
Karen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Karen »

Thanks Niki,
We looking forwards to the drive to St Chinian ( we live in Ille) and of course to see them and did I mention their holiday rental has a pool 😜

Karen
Karen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Karen »

Apologies for mis-spelling your name Nicki.
alan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alan »

Hi Nicki

I suspect our journey by Ryanair this Sunday from Stansted to Perpignan will be less pleasant.

Alan
nickiwynne
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nickiwynne »

It should be shorter!
Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly for you.
Nicki