Good stopovers from Cherbourg to Argeles?

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

oiesauvage
Rank 1
Rank 1

Good stopovers from Cherbourg to Argeles?

Post by oiesauvage »

Hi all, I will be travelling shortly with my Dad and two small kids from Ireland by ferry in the car I have to drive to Argeles and was hoping to stop for at least 2 if not 3 nights on the way, some of you more experienced and well travelled members might have a few ideas or suggestions around this? I'd really appreciate it if you could my brother is doing the same trip next week with his wife and four small kids the info would be very useful to him also. Cheers.
oiesauvage
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by oiesauvage »

Woohoo - just noticed, I have gone up a rank with my last post, I'm so proud, the forum is great by the way - lots of useful information for newcomers.
Rivesaltes Johnny
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rivesaltes Johnny »

Whenever we make the drive south we either use an Ibis Hotel (especially those with a pool to cool the kids off and unwind) or we look for an Etap Hotel close to the Motorway... they normally then have next door a child friendly eaterie such as Buffalo Grill or Court Paille. Just remember the price normally quoted does not include breakfast so allow normally 5-10euros plus per person for this. Book early as well as these types of hotel do get very booked up beside the major routes with fellow sunseekers and travellers!!! Bonne Route.

http://www.ibishotel.com/gb/home/index.shtml
http://www.etaphotel.com/gb/home/index.shtml
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Wow,OS,what a vast subject to cover!. It all depends on what your budget is,what route you take (though I assume from Cherbourg,it'll be Orleans and then either A20 via Limoges,or A75 via Cler Ferrand.)

I'd agree with RJ,that,especially if you've got kids, the chain places like Ibis are pretty good. I personally find the ETAP,Formule 1, Premier classe type places cramped and soulless,but there's no denying that ,if you're just looking for a place to shower/sleep,they offer cracking value.

Then,for more money there's the Mercure/Novotel/Kyriad type places . we often stay at the Mercure at Brive.(between Limoges and Cahors).The food's not bad for chain places,the rooms large and comfy and there's a huge play area/pool to keep the kiddies amused..all this only 3 mins off the A20. www.mercure.com

Overall we tend to use Logis. www logis-de-france.fr They offer a happy medium between the functionality /facelessnes of the Novotels/Ibis of this world,but are more reasonably priced and child friendly than the many chateau type establishments. One tip..we often stop at the village near Eiffel's stunning Viaduc de Garabit,between Clermont Ferrand and St Chely d'Apcher just off the A75. There are about 4 Logis there,all with pools etc,stunning views over the lake and excellent Auvergne food.Prices are app 70€ per room per nt.
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

Hi

I tried to list overnight hotels for the main routes here :
http://www.the-languedoc-page.com/touri ... tels-4.htm

And I have hotels by Dept here :
http://www.the-languedoc-page.com/touri ... france.htm

I tend to use Logis de France if they are nearby or Ibis for overnight stops.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Polly and Steve
Rank 2
Rank 2

Good stopovers from Cherbourg to Argeles

Post by Polly and Steve »

We'd like to recommend La Villonniere - two or three couples on the Forum are now 'regulars' and really enjoy staying there. For me, it (almost!) makes going back to the UK bearable!!

It's a pretty farmhouse just beyond Parnac, just off Junction 20 of the A20 autoroute north of Limoges run by Sarah and Chris Hill, with able canine assistance from Maggie. It's set in lovely countryside, has a big garden with a pool, and the en-suite rooms are tasteful and very comfy. A 3-course evening meal (with wine) is available too if required. Last month we paid 75 euros for the two of us for bed, breakfast (continental, but substantial) and a delicious supper which was served about 7.30; also there's a guests' kitchen for you to help yourself to complimentary tea, coffee etc whenever you wish. There are only about 4 rooms I think, so it all seems very homely and convivial.

Their very good website is at www.lavillonniere.net - hope you give it a go!
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Good stopovers from Cherbourg to Argeles

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Polly and Steve wrote:We'd like to recommend La Villonniere - two or three couples on the Forum are now 'regulars' and really enjoy staying there. For me, it (almost!) makes going back to the UK bearable!!

It's a pretty farmhouse just beyond Parnac, just off Junction 20 of the A20 autoroute north of Limoges run by Sarah and Chris Hill, with able canine assistance from Maggie. It's set in lovely countryside, has a big garden with a pool, and the en-suite rooms are tasteful and very comfy. A 3-course evening meal (with wine) is available too if required. Last month we paid 75 euros for the two of us for bed, breakfast (continental, but substantial) and a delicious supper which was served about 7.30; also there's a guests' kitchen for you to help yourself to complimentary tea, coffee etc whenever you wish. There are only about 4 rooms I think, so it all seems very homely and convivial.

Their very good website is at www.lavillonniere.net - hope you give it a go!

Yes, its excellent we are regulars,used them for about 4 years now.
Pattie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Good stopovers from Cherbourg to Argeles

Post by Pattie »

We tried to take your advice and stay at La Villonniere but although we enquired well before our travel date, the were fully booked! However, they suggested that we contact their son who also runs a B and B, (chaillacbnb.com) what a treat, he lives in a dear little village house at Chaillac, the room was great but the best thing was our evening meal, we might have been in a five star restaurant it was delicious and only 18€ each. Possibly not so great if you have kids in tow because there is not much outside space but just a short walk from the house is a lovely swimming lake with a playground. We will go again but also want to try La Villonniere :D :?:
Pattie
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Good stopovers from Cherbourg to Argeles

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Pattie wrote:We tried to take your advice and stay at La Villonniere but although we enquired well before our travel date, the were fully booked! However, they suggested that we contact their son who also runs a B and B, (chaillacbnb.com) what a treat, he lives in a dear little village house at Chaillac, the room was great but the best thing was our evening meal, we might have been in a five star restaurant it was delicious and only 18€ each. Possibly not so great if you have kids in tow because there is not much outside space but just a short walk from the house is a lovely swimming lake with a playground. We will go again but also want to try La Villonniere :D :?:
Hi I am pleased you liked it at Matthews place (Sarah's sons ), we are staying there on our return journey in Sept, as Sarah is full, but stopping with her on the way down.They are lovely people, excellent accomodation at a very reasonable price, I will pass on your comments to her.

We stop with her about 4 times a year and have even got other forum members stopping with them........Commission springs to mind :lol: :lol: