MOTOR CYCLE DRIVING LICENCE

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Mike Mill
Rank 0
Rank 0

MOTOR CYCLE DRIVING LICENCE

Post by Mike Mill »

I HAVE A FULL UK DRIVING LICENCE BUT DO NOT HAVE A MOTOR CYCLE LICENCE. CAN I DRIVE A MOTOR BIKE UP TO 125CC (OR SIMILAR) IN FRANCE ON MY UK LICENCE.
Mike Mill
PaddyFrog
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PaddyFrog »

Mike,
EU licences have the same availability within any country of the Union except where a State gives an Age allowance to drive Moto's or other exemption within their territory.
For example in France a child driving a scooter or Conduit Assisted is only available with the hexagon.

Incidently if you buy a new or second hand car you cannot drive outside France on a temporary Carte Gris.
Michael
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

That answer's called an Irish BATBA (in full BATBAAGASYONA)!
a scooter or Conduit Assisted is only available with the hexagon.
I.e. the Hexagon is like the Pentagon, but more so.. something to do with druids and mistletoe?

The simple answer to your question is yes.

I drove on a UK license in France from 1994 till last year. I changed it to a French one (no age limit) as mine was valid till 05July 2008 (70th birthday) I was allowed to drive up to 125cc on the UK license as on the French license I hold now. I can't imagine this would have changed in the last 8 months!
Mike Mill
Rank 0
Rank 0

thanks for the reply

Post by Mike Mill »

PaddyFrog wrote:Mike,
EU licences have the same availability within any country of the Union except where a State gives an Age allowance to drive Moto's or other exemption within their territory.
For example in France a child driving a scooter or Conduit Assisted is only available with the hexagon.

Incidently if you buy a new or second hand car you cannot drive outside France on a temporary Carte Gris.
Hi Paddy frog,

Thanks for getting back to me. I am running about on a 50cc scooter which costs an absolute fortune for insurance (340euros and Ihave tried a variety of insurances) when I could get a bigger one while I do not have a motor cycle licence - only a full uk driving licence.
Mike Mill
Mike Mill
Rank 0
Rank 0

thnaks for the reply

Post by Mike Mill »

Roger O wrote:That answer's called an Irish BATBA (in full BATBAAGASYONA)!
a scooter or Conduit Assisted is only available with the hexagon.
I.e. the Hexagon is like the Pentagon, but more so.. something to do with druids and mistletoe?

The simple answer to your question is yes.

I drove on a UK license in France from 1994 till last year. I changed it to a French one (no age limit) as mine was valid till 05July 2008 (70th birthday) I was allowed to drive up to 125cc on the UK license as on the French license I hold now. I can't imagine this would have changed in the last 8 months!
Hi roger O
Thanks for getting back to me. I am running about on a 50cc scooter which costs an absolute fortune for insurance (340euros and Ihave tried a variety of insurances) when I could get a bigger one while I do not have a motor cycle licence - only a full uk driving licence.
Mike Mill
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Have you tried Assurance 66 in Pont-de-Reynès? This is our insurance agency we used since 1992. Ask for Joëlle or Frédérique. The agency is in the process of changing hands as Joëlle (the owner) is about to retire, but he daughter Frédérique will carry on as manager. We have always had top service from them - but don't expect anyone there to speak English, sorry..
PaddyFrog
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PaddyFrog »

Mike AXA tend to be OK, Find the nearest office to you and see what they suggest.
Michael
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

The above agency will be be working exclusively with AXA. Our two car insurances are going to be reduced by roughly 20% per month transferred from Generali and SADA .