Internet Site for Removals

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Steve&Julie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Internet Site for Removals

Post by Steve&Julie »

Just wondered if anyone has come across Shiply on the internet. If you want to find transport to send or bring back items from anywhere to anywhere its a great service. You list your items (anything from a set of keys to a whole house full) on a site similar in operation to e.bay (there is a direct link to e.bay if you bought something from there (you don't have to - it puts photo of item in automatically). Then transporters 'bid' and you receive by e.mail and listed on the site, prices for the delivery. You look at the feedback and select the one you like the look of. We just bought a fridge freezer for £122 from South of London on e.bay. I listed it and within 10 minutes got loads of bids. The system gave me all the contact details to make the arrangements. I bought the item on Saturday, it was collected on Sunday and it arrived today as arranged, safe and sound. You can do all of Europe as well as the UK. It would have cost us more one way in fuel! You can have local collections - any journey long or short, any item! The site has feedback ratings and comments like e.bay and the transporters have to have insurance etc. The idea is to fill vans and lorries that would otherwise be half full so its quite 'green' in concept.

If you're interested the site is www.shiply.com. Its the first time I have used it and I was sceptical, but I would certainly do this again. Thinking of getting a quote to get our flatpack kitchen and appliances to the PO instead of driving it. You do have to have someone to be there for collection and to take delivery but might be useful if you are moving out, you get a flight, and arrive to take delivery before the goods or even to move items within France like pallets of tiles, building materials, cars......

There is no obligation to accept any 'bid', its free to register an item and there is no cancellation charge, you can change your mind and remove an item at any time. You can look through the site and see what other people have moved from place to place and what they paid.

See what you think!
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

sounds like a brilliant idea - thanks for the info!
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

I used a similar site called www.truckspace.co.uk.
I posted my requirements and three firms e-mailed me witth quotes.
Steve&Julie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Steve&Julie »

Glad you liked it - it certainly solved our problem, hope it works for others too.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

I put in in my "Project" favourites as I may know some interested people..
Thanks!
molliesassy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by molliesassy »

I tried to use the Shiply site but it doesn't seem to work from Ireland to France :( Anyone know of any company that will take small shipment from Ireland to the PO?
"click, click"
Steve&Julie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Steve&Julie »

For those interested, just had another successful Shiply organised delivery, it was a complete flatpack kitchen from B&Q including fridge freezer, cooker, extractor, wine chiller, hob and worksurfaces. Collected from Hoylake and delivered and unpacked (by them while we were not there) in Coustouges for £345.00.

The guy that did it would not normally unpack as well but they were caught up in the blockades and could not deliver while we were there so we left a key for them and they did the lot.

Steve was going to drive it over himself in the van but then had an eye accident and couldn't go. I priced it up and the journey would have cost around £800 including 2 overnight stops, ferry, fuel, tolls, insurance and not to mention 4 days off work.

Can't wait to get back and install it now!
Serge

Post by Serge »

How is Steve's eye?
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Steve&Julie wrote:For those interested, just had another successful Shiply organised delivery, it was a complete flatpack kitchen from B&Q including fridge freezer, cooker, extractor, wine chiller, hob and worksurfaces.
Wow, can't get those in France!!!
I deal in Logic!
"Magic" is applied science far in advance of our current technology.
Steve&Julie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Steve&Julie »

Not that good news about the eye sadly, they say he will only ever have about 80% vision in that eye, he says its misty - like looking through the bottom of a bottle and he gets annoying intermittent light flashes, that's because light is getting in through the iris - which can't be repaired. However, its good enough for him to drive in daylight and carry out most of the things he needs to do. Being self employed there are no insurances or sick pay - you just have to get on with it.

I actually think we are really fortunate - it could have been so much worse. In a month we are thinking of getting a second opionion just to be sure nothing can be done, we would do anything for him to have his sight as it was again.

Everyone just take care - you never know what can happen. And thanks for asking, we really appreciate all the kind comments we have had, makes it feel much better to know people care.
Matthew1983
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Matthew1983 »

Very useful sites both of those.. I think Shipley is useful for smaller goods. I had a lorry load of timber i needed delivering and in the end tried out www.returnloads.net and got some good quotes. Think the load was to big for the other 2 sites. I think sometimes its best to put on all of the sites and see what you get back.
montgolfiere
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by montgolfiere »

anyvan.com is another similar site.... i tried shipley to move 4 lorry tyres from near Calais to here but no quotes at all. I am using anyvan to move a shed from leeds to Here. and before anyone suggests buying in France....they dont sell the type of shed i required here!!