Passport Renewal

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

edann42
Rank 4
Rank 4

Passport Renewal

Post by edann42 »

It has cost me 178Euro plus 6 euro for an Avis de Reception, to renew my passport through the British Embassy in Paris!! Bloody rip-off!!!!! :evil: :x
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Certainly is, I was speaking with an English lady who lives in Thuir with her Spanish husband, he works at the Spanish consulate in Perpignan> Aparently for a Spanish person living in france and wanting to renew their passport here costs a lot less than 30euros! I hnestly cannot remember the figure but it was draw droppingly cheep :roll:
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Blimey,it's virtually as cost effective to get a Ryan cheapie back to UK,and do a "same day" passport renewal at the Passport Office at London,Peterborough,Liverpool or similar !

That's certainly what we'll be doing when ours expire later this year..
Debbie and Noel

Post by Debbie and Noel »

john wrote:Blimey,it's virtually as cost effective to get a Ryan cheapie back to UK,and do a "same day" passport renewal at the Passport Office at London,Peterborough,Liverpool or similar !

That's certainly what we'll be doing when ours expire later this year..
Sugggest you do the math! A Premium Service, ie on the day, renewal costs £129.50. Doing it via Paris costs Euros 184, say £158. So we pay a premium of £38.50. Therefore nipping back just to do the renewal doesn't make sense. You could save a few bob by using the Fast Track service at £112.50.. But then you'll have to hang about for a week.

My daughter just renewed via Paris. The new passport came back virtually by return of post.

They've got us by the short and curlies I'm afraid.

Noel
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek Noel. Certainly if you've got other business to attend to/family to see,it would make sense to do it in the UK.

Whatever,my Daughter who lives in Switzerland,had to renew hers by the Paris route recently,and between them and La Poste made a right pig's ear of it. I've known others for whom it's taken ages,and I'd rather have the certainty of being sure that they'd not lost the documents etc.

What I'll not take issue with though,is that the cost of obtaining a UK passport,whatever method one chooses,is absolutely outrageous.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

We renewed ours via Paris about 4 years ago. We flew into Stansted last week from Tenerife.
At passport control there is generally NO conversation and I always manage to stop myself making flippant remarks.
This time the bloke actually asked me a question:
"Could you tell me which country you were in when you received possession of this passport, madam?"
When I told him it was France he said:
"Excellent, madam. That's exactly the answer I was looking for"
So, they let me into the country.
Which is just as well because now I'm a grandma again.
New granddaughter - born on 30th December, weighing 8lb1oz and to be named Phoebe Rose.
Altogether now....................Aaaaaaah!!
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

polremy wrote:Which is just as well because now I'm a grandma again.
New granddaughter - born on 30th December, weighing 8lb1oz and to be named Phoebe Rose.
Altogether now....................Aaaaaaah!!
Congrats Pol. Phoebe has shown up a little earlier than expected has she not? I seem to remember mid-Jan was mentioned. Best wishes to all concerned.

I wonder what the point of the Stansted border control guy's question to you was ,by the way?

When are you planning on being back in the Land of Chav then?
edann42
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by edann42 »

Well done Grandma!!! xx
Debbie and Noel

Re: Passport Renewals

Post by Debbie and Noel »

expresspassport wrote:Everybody knows what role a passport plays in travel matter. So there is no need to say why you need passport renewal. You can enjoy a trouble free travel through it.
Is it me? What does this mean - if anything!

One matter never raised in this discussion was the role of the ID card in all this. Most European countries issue them and they are valid for travel within the EU. Which is all many of us need.

Noel

PS Yes, I am very active today. I'm laid up at the moment and trying out my new netbook. Anything to avoid getting bored!
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

expresspassport wrote:Everybody knows what role a passport plays in travel matter. So there is no need to say why you need passport renewal. You can enjoy a trouble free travel through it.
Another spammer - check the link

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Debbie and Noel wrote:
Is it me? What does this mean - if anything!

One matter never raised in this discussion was the role of the ID card in all this. Most European countries issue them and they are valid for travel within the EU. Which is all many of us need.

I think what EP is regaling us with, Noel ,is the admittedly earth-shattering news that a passport is essential for travel.

As for ID cards,well I've always been agin them,certainly in the intrusive form that the Bliar government was proposing,and overall,on balance would not favour their introduction.But ,if they were to come in ,then it would certainly be useful if they saved having to cart one's passport around for inocuous trips to UK,Switzerland rtc.