Spelling error on Ryan Air flight ticket

Flights; transfers; trains; ferries; routes; getting to and from the PO; lifts offered or wanted; motoring and biking matters.

Moderator: Moderators

Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Spelling error on Ryan Air flight ticket

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

I have booked flights for my daughter and son in law, (always makes me nervous) checked and double checked, and low and behold I have spelt her name wrong :oops: I have put Olivis instead of Olivia, can this be corrected when she does her online book in, as I have been told if she does online booking she should be ok, but I don't want to take the risk, has anyone else done this, if so what did you do. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
Life's too short to be anything... but happy.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Prob cheaper to change her name by deed poll, M :roll:
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

It all depends on how much you paid for the flights,Mags. If they were rock bottom cheapie,then,it'll almost certainly be cheaper just to forget it,and rebook them,and put it down to experience. If not then you'll have to pay Ryan's rather costly change fees.

Whatever,I would certainly NOT advise you to ignore it. You will NOT be able to rectify this at the on-line check in stage.They will almost certainly see the mistake at the airport,then you'll have the choice of either not flying ,or paying an even more costly fee there.

I speak as someone who's done exactly the same thing,if it makes you feel any better!
edann42
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by edann42 »

I did that on one occasion! I telephoned them and they corrected the name and charged me a small fee for doing so! I think it was 15 euro!
HelenAE
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by HelenAE »

According to Ryanair's website you can change a passenger name right up to 4 hours before leaving, so long as it's done before checking in

There's reference to a fee for changing a name, but no indication what that fee is!

You can find out more here:

http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/how ... -i-do-this
Sav
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sav »

Hi all :)

There are some details here
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bargains-a ... ge_id=1093
But then it could depend on who you get when you call :roll:

Cheers Sav :)
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

I will ring tomorrow as its a spelling mistake and not a name change...........we will see.
Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

I made a booboo once when booking from Perps.
The booking ended up with a blank for one of the passengers.
Don't know how it happened but I'm sure it was my stupidity.
Fortunately I was in Torreilles and only 10 minutes from the airport so I drove over and told them at the Ryanair desk what had happened.
They just added the name for me - no charge.
Lucky or what?
joffan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by joffan »

I booked flights for my son and his girlfriend last year with Ryanair, after checking that her name was really Juli, I found out on her birth certificate it was Julie. I rang Ryanair and they changed it for free. However I was on the phone for 20 minutes!

Julie
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Marguerite & Steve wrote:I will ring tomorrow as its a spelling mistake and not a name change...........we will see.
Yes indeed,Mags. Please let us know how you got on,as I'm sure I'll make the same mistake again in the future !

Julie's point above is a good one. There are regular slatings for Ryanair on the airline quality.com forum from people who've been kept hanging around for hours on their very expensive "helpline" . Often it's cheaper to rebook the flights than pay the phone bill afterwards.
Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

change of name

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

This is something completely different and it makes me wonder if anyone ever looks at paperwork properly. I went to Egypt a few years ago thinking I could buy my Visa at Luxor airport as I had done in the past. The plane was diverted to Aswan. No facilities to buy the Visa. Hmmm. big problem. So went to the back of the queue of 300 people. They were so cheesed off at the arivals office they just stamped my passport. It did ruin my holiday as expected to be arrested any moment.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

You make a fair point Jenny. Of course,there is some chance that Marguerite could "get away " with this mistake,and no-one will notice. But,sod's law says that if it is not sorted,then some jobsworth at Stansted (and there are lots of 'em) would notice,and,as you say,it'd cause a lot of worry. So,on balance,not worth doing it.

The wider issue you raise (of Visas) is an interesting one. I've been to several countries where there is no earthly reason why they should demand a visa for tourists. It's just a back door money making scam. Most recently was Indonesia,last November when they relieved us of USD 25 each just to get throgh Denpasar Airport. Then another $25 when we left in the form of "airport tax" . Plus a lengthy form to fill in on entry. I'm sure no-one reads this info you provide. It's just keeping immigration officers in a job!
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

UPDATE......Olivia rang them today and they have changed the name to the correct spelling....................wait for it FREE OF CHARGE, and I have a confirmation email. What a relief... :shock:
Jenny Rhodes
Rank 4
Rank 4

spelling mistake

Post by Jenny Rhodes »

FREE, now that's a word I didn't know they knew.
Must be a new member of staff.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

Fair play to them. Perhaps they are coming into the 21st C as regards customer care...?
Owens88
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Owens88 »

Well done for you and well done by Ryanair !
John
www.Goodviews.co.uk

Vernet Les Bains and East Midlands
Scotbear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Error in name with Ryanair - [b]Latest situation August 2011

Post by Scotbear »

I have just had the same situation with a single error in my surname due to a silly typing mistake and after printing out my boarding passes. After agonising about whether just to try my luck on the day, I decided to call Ryanair. I was answered within a minute and a helpful lady called up my booking, asked me to confirm a few details and then confirmed the mistake. She put a note on my file and said that there should be no problem at the airport.

Make sure you say that it is a typing error and not a name change, which means changing a ticket to the name of someone else; it is not at all the same thing and the latter is associated with high charges.

I would suggest calling the UK number for Ryanair. It is only 10p a minute compared to some of the steep prices charged for the Ryanair number overseas and even with the international charge, is likely to be cheaper.