Cheque impaye

Banking, insurance, currency exchange, taxation, prices.

Moderator: Moderators

opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Cheque impaye

Post by opas »

I have lived and banked in France for nearly 10 years and in the Uk for ions before that, but yesterday was the first time that I had notice that a cheque paid to me had been 'bounced'.

Fortunatly for me I am quite solvent at the momment :wink: not flush so please no begging letters :lol:

Can anyone enlighten me what would have happened , ie what charges I would have acrued, if this cheque which I banked over 2 weeks ago , which now is not in my account, and I had spent on the strength of it and in theory had 'overdrawn'.
Also what sort of charges will the person whose cheque was not 'valid' will accrue?

I was always under the impression that one could not issue a cheque in france if the money was not in their account.

I have contacted the person concerned about this money, so I do not need advice about that .

Unimpressed, welcome to the world of business!
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

Hi, they will be charged by the bank and if they do not pay the cheque then they can be banned from having a cheque book for a certain amount of years (think it's 5 but not certain about that). Afraid that cheques are risky nowadays , friend of mine who sells hay had a cheque for nearly 2000 euros bounce amongst others, he told me that this last year has been the worst for unpaid cheques.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

You may get charged too. I was charged 16€ for a cheque that bounced on me but that was a foreign currency cheque so it may have been the FX charges.

Every other day I get an email advertising debt recovery services. Sign of the times.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29