opening a bank account

Banking, insurance, currency exchange, taxation, prices.

Moderator: Moderators

kspoppet
Rank 0
Rank 0

opening a bank account

Post by kspoppet »

We have the following docs:

Passports
UK bank statement showing French address
Attestation from Landlord (no utilities in our name)
Landlords passport
P45 and last 3 wageslips (me)
2012 tax return (self emp hubby)
mobile phone statements

Caisse D'eparnge were eventually satisfied with the above docs, but then at the last minute refused to open the account on the basis that "they are not a large bank/building soc and do not deal with international customers" - completely untrue as I know lots of "internationals" who bank there.

Credit Agricole were keen to open the account but, bureaucracy being what it is here, will not accept the P45 wageslips and tax return. They will only accept a P60 for me and a P85 for the hubby - we have neither of these!

Anyone know where might be best to go?
Debbie and Noel

Post by Debbie and Noel »

Were you quoting a UK address? CA have an international service listed on their web site. Suggest you might speak to them.

Noel
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

We opened an account for foreigners with CA Argeles when we first moved here 7 years ago and at that time had to show neither P60 or P85. We were both early retirees. Perhaps the rules have changed or maybe rules differ from branch to branch.
Dylan
mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mrob343 »

Debbie and Noel wrote:Were you quoting a UK address? CA have an international service listed on their web site. Suggest you might speak to them.

Noel
As Noel mentions Credit Agricole run an on line banking service.Might be worth a shot if your French isn't up to the bureaucracy.

Here's the link: http://www.britline.com/
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

When we came out first Rob our french was almost non existent (Ken's still is!!!!)
Dylan
mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mrob343 »

Sue wrote:When we came out first Rob our french was almost non existent (Ken's still is!!!!)
I know ! :lol: :lol:
tubs
Rank 4
Rank 4

bank account

Post by tubs »

We've banked with CA Britline based in Caen for 8 years now and found them to be very helpful. They have english speaking staff at the end of the phone. I have even taken out my car insurance with them this year which was €100 cheaper than Generali whom I've been with for 6 years!
Nigel and Karen
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Nigel and Karen »

I use Britline and find them very helpfull, its just a bit of a pain paying money in!