Rain damage to driveway - insurance claim?

Banking, insurance, currency exchange, taxation, prices.

Moderator: Moderators

CD
Rank 3
Rank 3

Rain damage to driveway - insurance claim?

Post by CD »

Not sure whether this or the Property forum is the right place to ask the question, but as it's about Insurance, let's start here.

The 300mm plus rain of last weekend caused a veritable cascade of water running off the hillside above our property down our drive, which has left considerable damage down one side. The tarmac on top has been eroded and the foundation (stones) underneath have been washed away to a depth of up to 250mm all down one side. It looks like the rock field after a glacier has melted at the bottom of our drive!

This means it is impossible to drive up to the house without potentially damaging the car's tyres.

I was just going to shovel all (well most) of the stones into the (now new) trough with a view to redoing the whole drive at a later date when finances allowed, but a builder friend asked me if this sort of thing would be covered by the house insurance.

Before I struggle to first find, then translate the French legal language of our policy, does anyone have experience of this sort of thing?

Cheers,

Chris
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Rain damage to driveway - insurance claim?

Post by martyn94 »

CD wrote:Not sure whether this or the Property forum is the right place to ask the question, but as it's about Insurance, let's start here.

The 300mm plus rain of last weekend caused a veritable cascade of water running off the hillside above our property down our drive, which has left considerable damage down one side. The tarmac on top has been eroded and the foundation (stones) underneath have been washed away to a depth of up to 250mm all down one side. It looks like the rock field after a glacier has melted at the bottom of our drive!

This means it is impossible to drive up to the house without potentially damaging the car's tyres.

I was just going to shovel all (well most) of the stones into the (now new) trough with a view to redoing the whole drive at a later date when finances allowed, but a builder friend asked me if this sort of thing would be covered by the house insurance.

Before I struggle to first find, then translate the French legal language of our policy, does anyone have experience of this sort of thing?

Cheers,

Chris
Before you get in very deep, you might want to check your insurance excess/"franchise" (if any) on claims like these.
Pighunter
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Pighunter »

I don't know much about French insurance policies but used to work in insurance before I came here.

I believe that this should be covered under storm/flood but you would need to check the small print, especially as it is something outside and open to the elements.

I wouldn't be concerned about the excess or franchise, this is normally a nominal amount such as 250 euros and it sounds like this is far more serious!
CD
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CD »

Well I asked the insurance company the question and this was their reply:

"Following your damages due to very important rains which occurred last week-end, I am sorry to inform you that we can't take in charge them.

In fact, the driveway, the tarmac and the stones underneath are'nt included in the property damages which concern the house and its inside, its walls of retaining structure, fences, terrace adjoining house...

I inform you that only an option (outside installations) allows the guarantee of trees, garden furniture, terraces not adjoining, low walls holding back water, walls of retaining structure out of those concerning the property damages, and so on, cf page 34 of the general terms of your policy."

It's nice to know that even the French use web based translation tools, even if there is no claim!

Guess I'd better get the shovels and rakes out tomorrow, then make a plan for the future.

Here's hoping for a dryer winter...

Chris
Gruntled66
Rank 0
Rank 0

Catastrophe Naturelle

Post by Gruntled66 »

On the night of the 29th November our property was damaged by a landslide that destroyed 12.5 m of wall. Our neighbour took full responsibility and notified his insurer. His "expert" and our "expert", sent separately by our mutual insurer, told us that the insurance did not cover the reconstruction of the dividing wall, merely the tidying up of the mess. €1400 instead of €7000!

However, later we found that our village, as is Prades, is officially listed "ou l'état de catastrophe naturelle est reconnu". My neighbour will now represent the claim, supported by the necessary quotations. The insurance company then makes a claim on the state, subject to a forfait of €380. For further information see page 3 of L'Indépendant dated 12 December.

You'll need to move fast as claims are time limited.

Gruntled66