Contribution a l'audiovisuel public

Banking, insurance, currency exchange, taxation, prices.

Moderator: Moderators

Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Contribution a l'audiovisuel public

Post by Webdoc » Thu 23 Mar 2017 18:37

Advice please.

I've always avoided paying this tax as, until now, my house had no aerial, no satellite dish, and no internet.

Now however I have broadband with Orange (but not their TV package) and an Android box to play my collection of films etc. The Android box is also capable of accessing TV channels available on the internet.

Hand on heart, I would never watch French TV.

So do I have to pay the tax or not? (I'm looking for factual knowledge not just opinion please!)

Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate » Thu 23 Mar 2017 22:50

Yes. You should be paying it.....and have been paying it in the past.
https://www.service-public.fr/particuli ... droits/F88

The “contribution audiovisuelleâ€￾ is due when:

- Vous êtes redevable de la taxe d'habitation
- Votre domicile est équipé d'un téléviseur ou dispositif assimilé, qu'il vous appartienne personnellement ou pas

Sorrrrrrrrry :cry:

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 » Thu 23 Mar 2017 23:41

What you don't actually say is whether your screen, or anything else, has a tuner circuit. I don't think that lack of an aerial has ever been any defence: a wire coat hanger often works well enough.

Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc » Fri 24 Mar 2017 00:35

Oh I don't mind paying if it's due.

My screen has no tuner - it's a computer monitor that, until recently played recorded material, and had no connection to the outside world. It's only the installation of broadband that now allows for outside input from the Web.

My understanding was that a "tuner" of some sort made the tax liable.

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 » Fri 24 Mar 2017 09:03

Webdoc wrote:Oh I don't mind paying if it's due.

My screen has no tuner - it's a computer monitor that, until recently played recorded material, and had no connection to the outside world. It's only the installation of broadband that now allows for outside input from the Web.

My understanding was that a "tuner" of some sort made the tax liable.
The griff is here.

https://www.service-public.fr/particuli ... droits/F88

and more griff here

https://blog.tacotax.fr/2016/02/16/rede ... -la-payer/

The definition of what is a "dispositif assimilé" (ie something equivalent to a TV) seems to be quite narrow given the range of current technology. I don't imagine you will be exempt for ever (if indeed you are now).

Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc » Fri 24 Mar 2017 10:22

I found the official definition of what is a "dispositif assimilé" here:

https://www.service-public.fr/particuli ... ire/R43631

Google translates this as:

"Device equated with a television set
Definition updated on April 12, 2016

Equipment connected to one another or wirelessly and enabling the reception of signals, images or sounds by electromagnetic means. For example, video recorders, DVD players or recorders, video projectors equipped with a tuner, when associated with a screen."

I read that as being that any device has to be fitted with a tuner. I think Martyn is right in that this definition is not really Fit For Purpose for the range of 21st Century technology.

Martyn's second link seems to also confirm that I don't have to pay. I think......

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 » Sat 25 Mar 2017 16:58

If I had thought you needed google translate, I could have given you the gist of my links myself. It does help to know whether posters can cope with French or not. Given that we mostly live here, my default assumption is that people can. But it only takes a few keystrokes to indicate that you'd prefer English. Perhaps there's an emoji for it.

Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc » Sat 25 Mar 2017 17:41

You misunderstand me Martyn. My French is OK-ish based, like you, on a mix of old O-level and some practice. I put the Google Translate in for the benefit of other forum users.

I posted the question because I struggled to find a clear definition (in English) for "dispositif assimilé" and your post was most helpful, thank you.

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 » Sat 25 Mar 2017 18:39

Webdoc wrote:You misunderstand me Martyn. My French is OK-ish based, like you, on a mix of old O-level and some practice. I put the Google Translate in for the benefit of other forum users.

I posted the question because I struggled to find a clear definition (in English) for "dispositif assimilé" and your post was most helpful, thank you.
I duly cringe. For myself, though, I'd just pay and save the hassle.

Pearsonb
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pearsonb » Sun 26 Mar 2017 19:09

When I had a language school, we had about 15 TVs. As a company, we had to pay a livence fee for each one. Since we never used them to watch TV, we asked them how we could avoid paying this. They said that we had to remove the tuners.

So that confirms what has been written above.

Pearson