Choosing a bank

Banking, insurance, currency exchange, taxation, prices.

Moderator: Moderators

carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Choosing a bank

Post by carol sheridan »

Having moved to St. Cyprien Plage, I need to find a national bank, ie. one where I won't need to find a different bank if I change departements again. Can anyone recommend a bank locally?
PaddyFrog
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PaddyFrog »

Carol!
All banks and building societies are national, they are operated under regional administration.

Caisse d'Epargne as a building society is good, with full International banking facilities.

Michael
CarinaD
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CarinaD »

Hi Carole

We've had an account with Credit Agricole for a few years now, we initially opened the account in Dinard when we had an apt there, then transferred our account to the Collioure office. The manager in Collioure is lovely, doesn't speak english but was very accommodating with our french, even when we made a few gaffs!! He was extremely patient, explaining everything at a pace we could understand and the whole experience was successful, we receive regular statements to our english address and can access our account online.

I'm sure there's a CA in St Cyp, we've used our CA card in the Alps also. There seem to be branches all over France.

Whilst no two experiences are the same, I can honestly say we're very happy with them.

Good luck
John & Elaine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by John & Elaine »

Hello Carole, we have accounts with Banque Populaire du Sud first in St Cyp and then lately in Collioure. They have always been everything we could want and efficient and accurate. As Elaine is an accountant by training she is quite a stickler and not all that easy to please! Good luck John
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

We are with Crédit Mutuel (Perpignan "Castillet") since 1991 as our banker in France. We used this branch when we were living in Zürich, then Antibes, then Le Soler PO and now Palaja Aude. We have used the gold card all over the world with no problems. Recommendable, except that the bank's own cashpoints are only in same cities as branches, which means we have to use other bank cashpoints for cash withdrawals - up to 5 per month gratis.
Main site
https://www.creditmutuel.fr/groupe/fr/
The south coast is under the jurisdiction of
https://www.creditmutuel.fr/cmm/fr/accu ... uvrez.html
(Pierre Filliger is of Swiss descent, changed from the original Villiger!)
The Perpignan branches are:
CCM PERPIGNAN CASTILLET
28 QUAI SADI CARNOT
66004 PERPIGNAN CEDEX

CCM PERPIGNAN CATALOGNE
PLACE DE CATALOGNE
66006 PERPIGNAN CEDEX
Last edited by Roger O on Mon 11 Feb 2008 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

Thank you both. I first opened an account six years ago when I retired to Aude, with Banque Populaire. When I moved to the Dordogne and went to BP there, I was told I had to close my account in Aude and open a completely new account. Ditto when I moved to Lot - again a different BP, so I changed to Credit Agricole. I will try the CA in St. Cyprien (too far to go to Collioure in the summer with that busy road) but I feel they will tell me I will have to open a completely new account. The only problem is the pain of having to change all my prelevement automatiques, for my rent, FT, Orange, car/flat/health insurance, and so on.
I was under the impression that some banks were genuinely nationwide - i.e. I could access my account from anywhere in France. At the moment, I do all my banking on line, but if I ever did need to sign something actually in the bank, it would mean a long, long trip back to Lot.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

John & Elaine wrote:Hello Carole, we have accounts with Banque Populaire du Sud first in St Cyp and then lately in Collioure. They have always been everything we could want and efficient and accurate. As Elaine is an accountant by training she is quite a stickler and not all that easy to please! Good luck John
Our (French) friend in St Cyp swears by the local branch of Banque Populaire,and he certainly didn't have to faff around closing/opening accounts when he moved from Perps there.

The same was true when we've shifted our a/cs (3 times) with BNP Paribas.I know they have a bad reputation,but you can only speak as you find...to us they've been fine.The trouble from your point of view is there isn't one in St Cyp (nearest are Elne and Argeles ville)

PS...funny there isn't anyone championing Societé Generale right now!!!!
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

Thanks again, everyone. I know there is no trouble if you move branches within a department, but if you change departments the branch will have a different IBAN number so I would have to inform my pension providers, as well as all my prelevements. I don't know if I will be staying in the PO indefinitely - I am still debating the pros and cons of different areas.
I think I will go on using my CA branch in Lot until I decide on a semi-permanent place of residence. I would open a second account with a local bank, but I don't want to have to pay 30 euros or thereabouts for another debit card!
groslard
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by groslard »

I used to work in the Averon (just) (Midi Pyrenées) and live in the Hérault (Languedoc Roussillon).

Crédit Agricole is broken up into regions, so although I could use the ATM where I worked, I couldn't pay in a cheque for example, which was a nuisance as I wasn't at home in normal banking hours.
I had to drive over the regional boundary to do that sort of business.
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

That is just it, Grosland, there are some times when you need to actually go into your branch - not that I get sent many cheques! I can pay with my card and draw cash more or less anywhere, and I can monitor my account on line, but it just seemed that it would be more convenient to have a local bank.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

groslard wrote:I used to work in the Averon (just) (Midi Pyrenées) and live in the Hérault (Languedoc Roussillon).

Crédit Agricole is broken up into regions, so although I could use the ATM where I worked, I couldn't pay in a cheque for example, which was a nuisance as I wasn't at home in normal banking hours.
I had to drive over the regional boundary to do that sort of business.
I paid in two cheques - one quite large refund on miscalculated capital gains by the notaire!! - at the Crédit Mutuel branch in Carcassonne. Put in your Ccard - type the amount - get a receipt - put the receipt in the supplied envelope with the cheque and post in the slot. Get a second receipt - take out your card.. Next morning the amounts were on my Perpignan account and downloaded the updates onto my PC Cybergestion installation. No hassle!!
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I have some friends who live here that are retired and they bank with their Post Office and both sets of friends recommend it.

I don't know the exact details regarding the charges and fees but they said they were a lot less than the other banks and they offer a good interest rate. I don't know much more about it but if you want to know more I could put you in touch with them.

We are not retired so this easy option is not an option for us but Bank Populaire (I don't know about the other banks) will charge you for opening a bank account, breathing and walking into their bank and it was an amount that made my mouth drop to the marble floor tiles!!!
rbg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rbg »

Hi, I'm Irish and new to this forum, have been in France now for 6 years now .. I find Banque Populaire to be very good although you'd want to watch the bank charges.
I had to move from CA ( Perpignan) as it was just SOOO bad. Unbeleivable inefficiency particularly on the business side.
If you just want a local account in an area , I'd recommend La Poste .. charges are by far the lowest, although you'll only get service really in the office where you open the account.
Hope this helps
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

Thanks again to everyone. I have not had much trouble with Banque Populaire or Credit Agricole, except that CA did not warn me that a 'vir permanent', which I naturally thought was permanent, ran out after 12 months. I had set it up to pay a small loan I had with BP when I left the Dordogne. The first thing I knew about it was when I got a nasty letter from BP to say my monthly payment had not been made. I then had to set up another payment, at a cost over 8 euros.
Yes, I should have read the small print and they presumably just assumed that I would know that 'permanent' does not mean permanent in France.
DavidB
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DavidB »

There's an item on French banks in the latest IFP Newsletter.

Also an interesting item on being able to view the French Land Registry online.

See http://www.french-property.com/newsletter/2008/2/15/

DavidB
CarinaD
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CarinaD »

Hi Carol

How did you get on with your bank search? Did you check out La Poste?, this seems an interesting option, we may have considered this if we'd done a bit more research!!

Be interested to see who you chose and why, not being nosey, just for info in case we need to change sometime.

ps how's the weather? I'm getting withdrawal symptons, not been out since Jan :cry:
DavidB
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DavidB »

I seem to recall similar posts some months ago, and I recommended LaBanque Postale, ie La Poste.
Charges are just few €'s a year, online banking is simple and efficient, money can be transferred efficiently from UK, and branches are pretty much anywhere you go. You can nominate up to 2 branches where you can deposit or withdraw any sum. All other branches will limit cash withdrawals to a max of €300 a go. You can also use the "Agences Postales" (in the small villages) which makes it convenient if you are travelling.
You can, of course get a cheque book, arrange direct debits (prélèvements); and have savings accounts (tax free up to certain limits).
I've used them for about 15 years.
DavidB
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

I'm afraid I haven't done anything yet, as I have been occupied with trying to get the CPAM at Perpignan to accept that I am entitled to a new carte vitale, having been resident for 6 years, aged 67, and with an E121!
I think I will use the Banque Postale, when I get around to it, but I couldn't see any leaflets in the post office in St. Cyprien Plage today.