Stupid bank!

Banking, insurance, currency exchange, taxation, prices.

Moderator: Moderators

carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Stupid bank!

Post by carol sheridan »

I wrote to my bank last week telling them I would be moving house on the 24th September. They sent a letter (recommande) to my NEW address asking me for proof of domicile 'de moins de trois mois'. I have no idea what this means. Fortunately, my new landlord sent the letter on to me . On the same day, the bank sent my statement to my current address. I want to ask them how they think I can live in two places, 200 miles apart, at the same time, but I don't suppose it would do any good.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

ah, that's just it - they don't "think".
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

Yes, I have noticed this blind following of procedure in the face of all common sense with several different organisations here. Of course, there are plenty of 'jobsworths' in the UK too!
I believe they are asking me for proof of residence in my new house which must be less than three months old. As I have not even moved in yet, how do they imagine I would have anything MORE than three months old? I will send them my FranceTelecom bill once I have had my new line connected.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Carol
Do you have a contract with the landlord. This would probably work. It doesn't have an EDF contract or similar. It just needs something showing that you do plan to live there. Be creative and you'll surprise how easily it is to live within the French system.

Blackduff
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

Thank you, Blackduff. I have managed to live very happily in the French system for over six years, but now and again, and especially in my frequent house moves, I come up against the dead hand of bureaucracy. I do have a contract, but it is in English and I am certainly not paying for a translation.
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

carol sheridan wrote:
but it is in English and I am certainly not paying for a translation.
I can translate it for you, if it's of any help, in which case, please pm me.
RF.
Robert Ferrieux
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Robert Ferrieux »

polremy wrote:ah, that's just it - they don't "think".
…but you do, don't you, and that redresses the balance.
RF.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

There are two statements which excuse everything:
Military: I was only following orders
Civilian: I was only following procedures
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

Thank you, RF, but I can translate it myself - I believe, however, that they would require some official translation.
I see no problem in waiting until I get my bill from FT for the line connection.

I think I will change my bank to one that covers the whole of France. I stayed with Credit Agricole du Nord Midi Pyrenees when I moved from Lot to PO and I have been able to manage my account on-line and by post. Can anyone recommend a national bank?
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Crédit Mutuel - but make sure the local regional offices have access to Cybergestion before you choose because that is a very useful software to which you can download your account(s) and categorise/budget them very nicely. You could check your nearest local branch address wherever you are going or call them at the Mid Atlantic regional office on 05 61 61 46 46. We still keep our accounts in Perpignan but pay in (cheques + cash) and draw money at the Carcassonne branch.
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

Thank you, Roger, I will check them out after I have moved.
Tiffany
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tiffany »

Hi Carol, we found that it was absolutely pointless telling anyone of our move beforehand, only once we had moved.

We have just moved banks to an internet bank www.monabanq.com and can recommend them - and they are much cheaper than high street banks.

Good luck with your move!
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

Thanks, Tiffany, I will check their site. I have also been told that HSBC, which is my bank in England, has a branch in Toulouse, which might be quite convenient.
My own edit: I just googled HSBC in France and it seems they are in talks with Banque Populaire about a take-over, so they don't seem such a good bet!. I also have an account with Barclays in the UK, so I might look at their French site.
Tiffany
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tiffany »

Hi Carol, HSBC are already in partnership with a French bank - it's something like CCI bank, I forget which one. However, I read they were reviewing their involvement in France due to their frustrations with the French banking system. Join the rest of us! I have also looked at Barclays, but they are expensive. However, they are sure to have a branch in Toulouse.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Ja.. vell i can put you in touch viz a very discrete (right spelling!) Swiss bank.. problem is it's halfway through the Gotthard tunnel.. (on the right side coming from Italy via Ticino) there is this little green door and you have to knock 3 times and ask for Hans-Peter..
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

Roger - discrete, separate.....discreet - tactful.
I wish I had enough money to justify a Swiss bank account, but I don't think they would be interested in my few hundred pounds month pension!
I am now thinking about La Poste - I assume you don't have to change branches every time you move house.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

I do know the difference.... separate from all other Swiss banks, especially in that location.. rather tongue-in-cheek, don't you know, ma'am..

La Poste? Don't believe it.. our daughter has a Poste account (because it was advantageous before she attained her 18th birthday). She is closing it because every transaction change (i.e. changing her credit card from minor to adult with added privileges) requires a registered letter one month in advance to the office where the account was opened .

Note La Poste has only recently received the OK to act as a bank and they still go at it with the true "funtionaire" mentality.. (unless you're very lucky to find a progressive manager as in "Chti-land"!!)
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

Many thanks , Roger, I certainly won't be bothering with La Poste!
I will probably stay with the devil I know, CA, at least until I decide where I am going to settle in France.
Rivesaltes Johnny
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rivesaltes Johnny »

I have recently had a problem with my bank Credit Agricole in Calais. (I was not aware of the local nature of these banks when I first opened my account)

It fundamentally was my Carte Bancaire failed to function and after repeated calls, emails and even a personal visit to my branch (only to find it now closed on a Monday!!! - don't ask)

Suffice to say finally I asked them to forward my card to my french house when I was in residence in France for the holidays.. with a five week window you would think they would have sent it but no.. they managed to debit my account with over 40euros of charges I am still without my card some ten weeks later.

Yesterday I finally had an admission of guilt my charges refunded and I now await the arrival of my new card... I will reserve final judgement when I find it all works properly.. I fully understand the frustration felt by all and await with baited breath for it all to now go smoothly...
PaddyFrog
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PaddyFrog »

Normally, with services like Credit Cards the Banks will forward it, If asked to the nearest branch, where you will be able to pick the new one up and sign any documents needed.

My MIL by Coincidence has her Bank at Calais, when she was staying with us many years ago, She arranged for our Bank in Prades to deal with her day to day banking problems.

When our daughter did her "GAP" year jolly, the bank blocked her CC every time she changed countries, and opened it in the new country.

This was at the time of major cloning of CC in the far east.
Michael
Steve&Julie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Steve&Julie »

Had a look at the French on-line bank and I understand most of it but I can't see how you get money into it and do they charge for putting money in - the only way I can pay euros into my bank for free from the UK at present is to send them euro travellers cheques! I presume you get money out from a cash point (any cash point?) Have you tried setting up a transfer from a UK Bank - do you do this with the expensive transfer system?

Many thanks!
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

I did the "draw cash and carry with you in money belt" routine from Zürich to Nice when we bought our house - but no idea if one can do this exiting the UK! I mean, my bank in Zürich gave exactly the same reaction to my drawing out 25,000 euro in 500s as it would if it had been 250.
I must admit I was a little nervous arriving in Nice - but the Russian mafia get away with carrying much more than I was!!

The only problem is you need large notes (500 euro) to avoid bulk and those you can only use here as "bank fodder" as nobody else will take them for fear of counterfeits! In Switzerland, you can buy a pack of ciggies at a kiosk with a 500 CHF note (about 400 euro) and nobody will blink an eyelid, just count out your change and give you the pack.. in fact, they'll do it for a 500 euro note as well and just give the change in CHF... different mentality.. cash is cash and no fuss about currency..
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

The Swiss banks are certainly laid back about accepting cash. When I worked in Monaco, my employer sold a yacht for a million francs, which was then about £100,000. It was paid partly by francs and partly by deutschmarks (a German buyer). We drove to Zurich to bank the cash - no problems then about money laundering (1980) and it gave me a nice little holiday in a very clean city.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

Pity we didn't know each other.. you could have called me at Swissair head office and I could have invited you to a nice supper at Zunfthaus zur Meisen - one of Zürich's better restaurants by the Limmat (opposite the Grossmünster - which you see looking out of the window - at the end of the video below), apart from housing a really beautiful and exclusive museum collection of pocelain.
http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?titl ... =687883056
(sorry, no version in English)

Hmmmm I really must go up there and visit my daughters and their families.... Nice was soooo easy... from Carcassonne, or anywhere in the LR it's a bind to get flights where connex take almost as long as driving on some days!
For example (for 321 euros return)
Toulouse (Blagnac) 10:45 Zurich (Zurich) Suisse 17:05 Air France via CDG
Rivesaltes Johnny
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rivesaltes Johnny »

I have fond memories of dining in Zunfthaus zum Ruden on the other side of the Limmat.

Some lovely places along side the Limmat - Hotel zum Storchen for one.. a last memory though is Schnaggli a la Baggli...and a wonderful atmosphere and some pretty good nosh in the oldest vegetarian restaurant in Europe "Hiltl"

Just love the sound of the trams as well!!!
Tiffany
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tiffany »

Hi Steve and Julie,
The main way you pay money in is by cheque - you fill in the details online and they credit it immediately to your account if they then receive the cheque within 4 days through the post; by virement - transfer, I guess, which is largely how money moves around in France these days, again done directly online witht he other person's bank details. If you need to pay in cash you can throughthe Post Office. You can do this free, twice in a year, and then they charge €15 a time after that. I have never needed to pay in cash, so it hasn't been a problem. You can use any cash point, free and you get a cheque book, of-course. At the moment we pay no fees whatsover - not even for the cartes bleues. I have no idea how one would go about paying in travellers cheques, but I could ask my conseiller if you like. I haven't transferred any money from the UK - oh that I had some there! You would have to speak to your UK bank about the procedures and fees for transferring from there.

Boursarama is another online bank who were offering a good deal. Online banks are the ultimate portable bank - and much much cheaper than the terrestrial ones - I have compared them all. I intend to study business accounts next........

Hope this helps,