Insurance renewal

Banking, insurance, currency exchange, taxation, prices.

Moderator: Moderators

carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Insurance renewal

Post by carol sheridan »

I have always understood that your insurance company had to send you a renewal notice two months before the end of your contract, so you had a chance to compare prices and cancel if necessary. I haven't had any this year, so I rang GAN and they said I could have asked for one, but it was no longer the law that they had to send me one. As it happens, I am quite happy with their prices, but does anyone know if they are right about the law?
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Funny you should mention that, Carol, I've been discussing the same subject with my brother only this weekend! We haven't had one either, but then nor have we received an invoice!!! :?
Serge

Post by Serge »

It depends on how you pay, if you pay monthly on DD they tend to just carry on with the cover and send you notice of the next year's premium, but if you pay yearly then it's your responsibility to renew.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

In ours there's a clause saying in effect
"In default of cancellation by the insured, the assumption is to renew for a further year".
carol sheridan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by carol sheridan »

I rang the agent and they put me through to GAN. They confirmed what you have said - because I pay by prelevement they will just continue taking the money, but I did point out that this did not give me the chance to compare their quote with any other company. They are sending me my green card and vignette today, so I can put it on my car when I leave it at Carcassonne airport next week, for several weeks. I will have to display both vignettes, although I don't know whether anyone would be checking cars in the official car park there.
Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

carol sheridan wrote:I did point out that this did not give me the chance to compare their quote with any other company.
We have a lovely agency in Pont de Réynès who, watches over these things.
Commission deducted from our premium which is the same as if we would go direct. checked and confirmed that!

We've been with her since 1993.