Credit card cloning .....

Banking, insurance, currency exchange, taxation, prices.

Moderator: Moderators

mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Credit card cloning .....

Post by mpprh »

Does anyone have direct experience of credit card cloning ?

My card has been used to buy a load of air tickets with JET4YOU - and I've never used them !

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Nigel and Karen
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Nigel and Karen »

My son had his card cloned about 2 years ago, HSBC did all the work for him and issued a new card.

They found out about the cloning when he had about 15 £1 transactions in a day at carephone wharehou.se
edann42
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by edann42 »

Happened to me me in Vias Plage two years ago! HSBC sorted it out and fully re-imbursed me!
BT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Cloning

Post by BT »

In October somebody tried to use a cloned card in Australia. Bank of Ireland stoped my card immediatly before the transaction could be completed. I had the new a card in 36 hours.
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Yes , my card was cloned, they spent £1.56 one day and when they knew they had got away with it bought 2 flights from Brussles airlines. My card company rang me and asked for my transactions for that day, once confirmed it wasn't me, they stopped my card and refunded the money. My son had the same, his was someone doing online gambling, spent £2,000, again it was investigated by the fraud squad and he got his money refunded. Quite frightening really.
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

Mine is complicated as it looks as if a French card was cloned in Malta, and the flights went from somewhere in Europe to Morocco. Judging by the amounts, they've taken the family !

Peter
The Languedoc Page
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

I had mine cloned in the States. The clever Credit Card company spotted the fraud when it was used to pay for a meal at Red Lobster :lol:

I would have thought buying airline tickets is the dumbest thing to do with a cloned card as the user can be pretty easily traced.
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

On a vaguely related topic, I've booked some flights online with GermanWings. My computer crashed before I could print out the ticket and I've not received an email confirmation from them. When I go onto their website with the confirmation number I wrote down it says I have no flights but they still took the money from my credit card.

Anyone here had any dealings with GermanWings to suggest what to do?
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

Santiago wrote: I would have thought buying airline tickets is the dumbest thing to do with a cloned card as the user can be pretty easily traced.
I wonder if there is some way they can get a credit to a different account, or even in cash ?

Peter
The Languedoc Page
Marguerite & Steve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Marguerite & Steve »

Santiago wrote:
I would have thought buying airline tickets is the dumbest thing to do with a cloned card as the user can be pretty easily traced.

I thought the same thing, as I would have thought that if your making your booking wouldn't it have to be in my name therefor passport too...it was investigated and I think they got who did it, but wouldn't give me any further information.
john
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by john »

A lot of airlines are now insisting that if you buy an E Ticket on the net,you have to show the credit card you used to buy it when you arrive to check in for the flight at the airport.

I thought chip and pin cards were supposed to stop all this cloning. Cloning is very common in the USA,but ,despite the supposed "superior" American technology,they haven't started to use chip and pin there yet.
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

Just an update .............. it may help others to avoid the problem :

The cards are stopped, I've made statements to my bank and local police, and I'm waiting for a questionaire from Visa.

As of now, I'm about Euro 1700 out of pocket. It seems, if they are certain it was fraud, I will probably be reimbursed. It is complicated by the date of the fraud - I was on my way home, so was in Malta, Spain and France the first day the card data was used. The air tickets were going to N Africa - so I'm not sure where the fraud will be investigated, if at all.

Trying to narrow this down, I think the fraud was done like this :

I bought a 4 hr internet card in a Maltese hotel. Two pc's were in a side room not overlooked by reception, but accessible via the entry door. My guess is that some sort of keystroke recording software was installed, then retrieved later. I used the machine to reserve a rental car through Hertz France (thus providing cc details), and this must have been one of the recorded transactions they captured.

Actual physical cloning of cards is more difficult with european cards as pretty well everyone is using an embedded chip these days ( introduced 20 yrs ago in France).

Not such a cheap break after all ?

Peter
The Languedoc Page
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

mpprh wrote: It seems, if they are certain it was fraud, I will probably be reimbursed.
Peter
My own experience would suggest you be optimistic. After some dodgy transactions on my Visa card - the usual small items (ringtones) to check it would work and then a biggie - I was fully refunded. The Visa person I spoke to on the phone explained that it was the retailer's responsability if they accepted a fraudulent transaction, not that of the owner of the card. She said they probably wouldn't pursue the small items as it wasn't worth chasing up £6 or £7, but would certainly reclaim the largest amount. This amounted to over £800. I had to Google the name of the firm to find out that it was some Italian designer clothing outlet.

Italian designer clothing? :roll: Anyone who knows me would instantly know that I certainly had not been the customer. :wink:
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Not cloning but on the same theme

We went for a curry to our local(UK) with baby and todler...she only had popadums and chips and coke, after our meal stupidly I let her go with the nice waiter with my card , she came back smiling with my card and a dish of mints.

About a fortnight later my visa bill came through the door with 2 rather expensive transactions on them from a mail order company, I waited for Mr O to phone me and asked if he had bought me a suprise prezzie from this particular company......no.
I contacted the visa company and got more details of the transaction, contacted the mail order company who gave me a delivery address.........BINGO 6 doors down from the curry house. Streight to the police station to make a statement. All money refunded.

Another funny one, when I worked on the checkouts I had a knack of spotting dodgy customers, whether they were shoplifting or about to hand over a forged note. This particular day I had swopped a shift and was working an evening, where nearly all the staff were students. I spotted this guy in my queue , noticed he was a bit edgy and kept an eye on him.....he obviously felt uncomfortable and changed queues to a young lad in front of me. When it was his turn to be served I saw him hand in a credit card , saw that there was a delay in his transaction and suddenly he dissapeared out of the shop, I asked the operator what was wrong .........he said he was waiting for the card to be authorised, he had told the customer this and he said he would go and tell his friend he would only be a minute as he was parked outside. The card was declined........why did he try to use it? the name on the card was Jones, the lad using it............he was Asian!
Serge

Post by Serge »

So, what does a dodgy customer look like then?

Shorter than average? Irish decendency? or .......................

:lol: :lol:
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What do you look like serge?

Do you know what, they were usualy well dressed, nicely spoken and very polite...........untill you told them that the card they were using had been declined and was being kept for its credit card company. Or you informed them that the £10 note they had just passed over was fake, or that the piece of lamb that was sitting at the bottom of their handbag needs to be passed through the scanner.
Serge

Post by Serge »

opas wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you know what, they were usualy well dressed, nicely spoken and very polite

That's me! - have we met?

Roger O
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Roger O »

opas wrote: the name on the card was Jones, the lad using it............he was Asian!
Wot, you never heard of Indian Jones??
You should'a got his autograph!!!
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Serge wrote:

prove it!!! we demand photographic evidence.
i mean, who is well dressed and lives in a shed?
Colin L

Post by Colin L »

Worzel Gummidge?
Webdoc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Webdoc »

mpprh wrote:Just an update .............. it may help others to avoid the problem :

The cards are stopped, I've made statements to my bank and local police, and I'm waiting for a questionaire from Visa.

As of now, I'm about Euro 1700 out of pocket. It seems, if they are certain it was fraud, I will probably be reimbursed. It is complicated by the date of the fraud - I was on my way home, so was in Malta, Spain and France the first day the card data was used. The air tickets were going to N Africa - so I'm not sure where the fraud will be investigated, if at all.

Trying to narrow this down, I think the fraud was done like this :

I bought a 4 hr internet card in a Maltese hotel. Two pc's were in a side room not overlooked by reception, but accessible via the entry door. My guess is that some sort of keystroke recording software was installed, then retrieved later. I used the machine to reserve a rental car through Hertz France (thus providing cc details), and this must have been one of the recorded transactions they captured.

Actual physical cloning of cards is more difficult with european cards as pretty well everyone is using an embedded chip these days ( introduced 20 yrs ago in France).

Not such a cheap break after all ?

Peter
Actually a "skimmer" is usually used to copy the magnetic strip on the back of the card. These are now so small they can be the size of a matchbox and hidden in the palm of the hand, and with a deft movement the card swept through it in a trice. These details are then sold electronically over the internet to "backward" countries (inc. USA) who don't yet use Chip-and-Pin.

There are mechanisms to clone Chip-and-Pin cards and pin numbers but these are much more complex, usually involving wire-taps into the phone line connecting the vendor to Credit-Card-HQ and/or hidden cameras to record the keys entered on the pin-number keyboard.

The Credit Card companies keep very tight-lipped about the amount they lose to fraud each year (literally dozens, perhaps hundreds, of millions of pounds each year) because in the end we end up paying as part of the Credit Card markup on the goods we buy.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Serge wrote:

I worked in Asda, not Poundland where poor people shop :wink:
Serge

Post by Serge »

Wouldn't be me then, I'm more of a Sainsbury's type of shopper ...............
Nigel and Karen
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Nigel and Karen »

Serge wrote:So, what does a dodgy customer look like then?

Shorter than average? Irish decendency? or .......................

Its funny, but they do look dodgy? I stop several every year, shoplifting or just looking dodgey in the pavilions that I run.

Usually very normall but with somethig just wrong!!!!!
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

Caisse d'Epargne credited my account with a full refund on 14 April 2009.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

That's great news! Well done!

And - in the grand scheme of things - didn't take TOO long to sort out!
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

thumbelina wrote:That's great news! Well done!

And - in the grand scheme of things - didn't take TOO long to sort out!
I saw others had waited for a long time, so I was pleased it was sorted out in just over 1 month from the time I reported it. I'd rather seen the refund as surprise spending money around next Xmas.

They did say that they reserved the right to take the refund back in the event that I received a refund from JET4U where the tickets were bought. The bank are probably trying to recover the money from them. I've had no contact with JET4U, and I guess I can't reasonably expect to keep 2 refunds for the same loss :wink:

Peter
The Languedoc Page
mpprh
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by mpprh »

I've recently had a contact from the local county court asking if I want to commence proceedings. Seems the local plod passed the file over.

I've heard nothing more.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
donaldjustine13
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by donaldjustine13 »

You might have given your credit card information into some people or website. You must change your credit card information to stop it. Go to your bank now so that everything will be fixed at once.
Last edited by donaldjustine13 on Wed 30 Jun 2010 09:48, edited 1 time in total.