Needing help re tax

Banking, insurance, currency exchange, taxation, prices.

Moderator: Moderators

collioure_bee
Rank 4
Rank 4

Needing help re tax

Post by collioure_bee »

Am really confused. Have been told different things by everyone I speak to and not sure what to do, where to go, etc.

I don't want a massive tax bill as I don't have it to give them.

Is there anyone out there kind enough to answer my questions and even have a look at a payslip if I email them a copy and help me out?

Am getting just a bit worried now despite the nice efforts of a couple of friends today.
thumbelina
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by thumbelina »

Don't panic, Bee!!!!! I'm sure everything will be just fine!

Did you fill in a tax declaration form in May?
mrob343
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Needing help re tax

Post by mrob343 »

collioure_bee wrote:Am really confused. Have been told different things by everyone I speak to and not sure what to do, where to go, etc.

I don't want a massive tax bill as I don't have it to give them.

Is there anyone out there kind enough to answer my questions and even have a look at a payslip if I email them a copy and help me out?

Am getting just a bit worried now despite the nice efforts of a couple of friends today.
You're more than welcome to come here with any relevant info. Eliane's willing to help you out.
Cheers Rob
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

I spoke with CB today along with Outie. We tried to reasure him and advise him what to do.

He did say that he never filled in a tax return in France and is now panicking. We have advised him amongst other things to go to Les Impots in Perps . and put his mind at rest.

I am sure he will welcome the advise from mrrob and his good lady........
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Macs
Rank 1
Rank 1

taxing tax -form

Post by Macs »

although we only moved here in January and are retired, we have received a letter/tax form that looks shudderingly scary.
Does anyone know if we go to the Impot in Perps if we will be able to speak to someone who speaks English, we are working hard to learn French but don't want to risk misunderstandings with something so imprtant? :?
Was hoping we'd left such things behind and can't imagine what this is other than getting us into the system?
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Macs, does your form have a title or reference number that could be looked up on the impôts website? I might be able to tell you what it's for then
Macs
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Macs »

Hi Sue and Paul, thanks for taking the trouble, the letter is headed
Demand de Declaration and has a space for us to Reponse on the back
There are numerous articles on the back in tiny print that remind me of a Comet credit agreement!!!!
At the moment we've got a French speaking friend having a look at it but she seems a bit bemused, hey ho!
Val and Brian
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

= Request for declaration, but I guess you've worked that out. They want you to declare for income tax, which , as far as my limited knowledge goes, you must do if you live permanently in France, ie more than half the year. It may well be that when it's all done, your income is below the taxable threshold, and they will tell you that you aren't subject to tax.
You can get more information on www.impots.gouv.fr
John & Elaine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Tax for a Collioure resident

Post by John & Elaine »

I think you wil find that it is the Impots at Céret who cover Collioure - there is a lady there who speaks reasonable English. Don't recall the name. For those going to Perpignan the lovely Mme Printemps who spoke good English and was both kind and helpful, has been replaced by a Monsieur who is neither and does not speak English at all!

Bon courage!

John
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Macs...I see you are in Ste Marie. I just noticed in today's Indépendant that on Friday morning 9am to 11.30am at the Mairie in Ste Marie, there will be staff from the tax office to deal with income tax
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

Just thought I'd bring this back to the top in case Macs is looking in today - see my above thread

Macs, have sent you a pm
Macs
Rank 1
Rank 1

taxonomy

Post by Macs »

tax open day at Sainte Marie is on Oct 12th, between 9.30 and 11.30; the receptionist said to come along and she's sure someone will be able to speak enough english to sort us out. thanks for all help, great to know people out there take the time :D
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: taxonomy

Post by polremy »

Macs wrote:tax open day at Sainte Marie is on Oct 12th, between 9.30 and 11.30; the receptionist said to come along and she's sure someone will be able to speak enough english to sort us out. thanks for all help, great to know people out there take the time :D
please let us know how you get on.
sue and paul
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sue and paul »

oh good...hope you get the help you need. L'Indépendant must have got wrong Friday, but info better early than late, in this case!!!
Macs
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Macs »

we are off to the Centre des Impots for the premier fois tomorrow with our little red and blue forms, does anyone know if there's assistance for folk who are trying to learn French but just aren't there yet? :? :? [/quote]
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

usualy when you go there you will end up in the internatonal `guichet` and that should be maned by someone who can speak a little English.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Macs
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Macs »

than you opas much appreciated :D :D :D

Does anyone know if lowly teacher's pensions in UK are taxed in France, my understanding is that they are taxed in uk only but not sure :?
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Macs wrote:than you opas much appreciated :D :D :D

Does anyone know if lowly teacher's pensions in UK are taxed in France, my understanding is that they are taxed in uk only but not sure :?
yes, they are taxed in uk under some scheme whose name i forget now.
uk state pension is taxed in france - bizarrely (my god, can't remember how to spell any more and that just doesn't look right)

and of course, interest on uk bank accounts will be taxed in france so you should get it paid gross in uk.

i understand that we ex teachers with modest pensions end up better off financially under the french regime and quite right too given that it takes quite a lot of formfilling to sort out and most of it in French.
Serge

Post by Serge »

Lowly teachers pensions? :roll:

Winter fuel payment is probably tax free though ... :wink:
Macs
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Macs »

Hi polremy are you in warm places yet or still here and windswept :?:
thanks for info on TP's wouldn't know where to begin to get it taxed in France
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Serge wrote:Lowly teachers pensions? :roll:

Winter fuel payment is probably tax free though ... :wink:
yeah but, no but...........we don't get it.
moved over here too young.
but then of course, we don't actually pay for any winter fuel.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Macs wrote:Hi polremy are you in warm places yet or still here and windswept :?:
thanks for info on TP's wouldn't know where to begin to get it taxed in France
we're still here.
just a few days left now
Macs
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Macs »

Just to reassure others in our situation; our visit to the tax office in Perpignan was soooooo easy. There was a dedicated 'guichet' as opas said and the person there could not have been more helpful; all done with a smile and expertise :D :D :D

Serge, when I'm old enough to get the winter payment I promise I'll be very grateful :wink: :wink:
peggy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by peggy »

dear Bee
I can help you, if it is not too late... write me a PM and I'll answer you
Peggy