The Punjab - such nice people

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

The Punjab - such nice people

Post by Allan »

Being on my own on Saturday night and too idle to cook, I decided to try what appears to be Perpignan's only curry house.

On the positive side, I was warmly welcomed and chatted througout the evening with the staff and management, I found them charming and incredibly willing to please.

Well that's the positive side over with, the food was just dreadful, I started with a dish that would be called a 'Mixed Kebab' in England but was referred to as mixed grill and was actually dearer than any of their main courses.

The kebabs were dry and tasteless, the lamb seemed like it had been first cooked some days before as did everything else really.

My main course was Chicken Jalfrezi, other than the clue in the name, nothing in it was recognisable as chicken - the meat was in tiny pieces and had been cooked so long that it was just spiced 'mush' - the Peshwari Naan was excellent.

The excuse that the food is to French tastes really doesn't wash, even if it had been spiced to a level appreciate by the British, it was just terrible quality.

It wasn't cheap either, 2 courses, 2 beers and a coffee for €52.

Shame really - such nice people and they offered me a complimentary digestif
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

It is over a year since I last went there. I must say it was very good (apart from the high prices). Perhaps they have a new chef now or was he just having a bad day?

Russell.
polremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by polremy »

Blimey - 52 euros for 2 courses and two beers!!
I think we got out of France just in time - we certainly couldn't have afforded to eat out at those prices.
We are in Tenerife where the two of us ate today overlooking the harbour at Las Galletas - bottle of house chardonnay, olives, papas arrugadas con mojo, peppers padron, 1 main course of fish brochettes, an extra glass of white wine (me - just don't know when to stop), one (very large) brandy and one cafe americano. Total bill 30euros20.
Luvly jubbly.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

I have taken this from a previous posting.

Simply called 'Indian Restaurant' at 41 rue de la Fusterie (behind the Place de la République). It opened one month ago and we found it quite by chance yesterday (we went to Perpignan for their 'Jeudi' music evening). Phone number: 04 68 61 43 59
The menu is quite simple but the food is excellent. To my mind, without doubt, it is better than the Punjab. We took two menus at 12 euros and one a la carte menu. We had, as starters, aubergine pakora, onion bhaji and chicken tandoori. Copious and delicious. This was followed by chicken curry (part of the 12 euros menu) and a mutton curry. The chicken curry was mild but very flavoursome. The mutton curry was hot but it didn't kill all your taste buds so you could still enjoy the dish. The rice was top (just a few spices to make it interesting).
So we will definitely go back there. Please go too as I don't want it to close for lack of customers!
Rank 0

Post by lisi »

Always wondered about that Punjab place. I'm always scared to go cos it's always dead when we drive past. Def have to try that new Indian Restaurant out. I want some naan bread & tandoori chicken :)
russell
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by russell »

lisi wrote:Always wondered about that Punjab place. I'm always scared to go cos it's always dead when we drive past. Def have to try that new Indian Restaurant out. I want some naan bread & tandoori chicken :)
mm.. peshwari naan :D :D

Russell.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

yum yum, garlic naan and a pathia!
Dylan