Chinese Restaurant

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Chinese Restaurant

Post by Sue »

Have just noticed this morning that there is a new largish looking chinese buffet restaurant opening in Argeles. Its next door to Picards frozen food shop on the main village road just to the right of Gifi. Dont know when it is opening.
Dylan
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Sue
I was passing the Picard store and I saw the new restaurant. The name is Shangra La (sp?) and I think that this is the same restaurant which was across from the Tourist office in the Argeles Plage area.

Further back in the past, the group was offering a buffet at the Argeles Port. Then, they changed and took control of the previous Shangra La, which was a great restaurant. Of course the new owners made the same food which was served at the Port.

Now, I think that the owners are shifting to an area which has a little business in the winter periods too.

From what I remember, the owners are Viets and the food is similar as elsewhere. Not sure when it will open, since the workers are still finishing the place.

I haven't visited the Golden Dragon in Elne after it opened. The couple opening this restaurant used to be part-ownership with the Escale de Asie which is located in the North Beach part of Argeles. I believe this will be worth tasting at this new spot.

I'm getting hungry.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Might be wrong but I thought the new one is called The Shanghai!!
Dylan
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Could be! I was driving past when I saw the name.

Blackduff
FACEBOOK THOUGHTS: Remember that old phrase: if you're not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Sue
Mea Culpa! The name is Shang Hai. So, my story previous is probably incorrect.

The place is a buffet and Wok as much as you want. I cannot understand someone would need more than one Wok's full of food.

The building has furniture inside so hopefully it will open soon.

Blackduff
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

The Chinese Wok Restaurants seem to be multiplying as apparently another has opened today at Le Boulou behind Intermarche. It is reported to be worth a visit. I shall now have to schedule my Kiabi visits for lunch times!! :wink: :wink:
Dylan
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

Make sure you visit Kiabi first, :oops:
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

:shock: :D :roll:
Dylan
blackduff
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by blackduff »

Jo-Anne
The restaurant in Perpignan is supposed to be Thai food but when I visited the place, it's just a buffet place similar to the others in Perpignan. I gave this a pass, since I was wanting to have Thai food.

This restaurant used to be the Resto Marché place. The food was fairly good and the prices were low. I've eaten there often with a group of ten to fifteen people. The overall prices were cheap. Even better, the service was great. Not sure what happened with them. This is part of a franchise shop so there must be others but who know where.

Blackduff
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

You could put yourself off fish and chips if you thought about the polluted water the fish swim in!!
Dylan
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dylan
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Dylan
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

there used to be a chinese on mas guerido, my son ate there regularly until one day he turned up and found it had been closed. He was told that they had been caught serving cat meat as chicken ( son had never noticed and hasn't put him off eating chinese) . Just proves that mixed with a bit of sauce nobody notices the difference , think they only got caught because a lot of cats had gone missing in the area and so people got suspicious and started looking in to it. This happened quite a few years ago so if there is another chinese there it is not the same one ( just in case someone else has taken it over)
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

Thanks Tia for that stomach churning piece of information. :x
Dylan
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

Had intended to go to the wok nr Auchan this week but we'll try the new one in Le Boulou and report back. I imagine it will be good as it is the first week and they will be wanting impress!
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

nowadays you never really know what you're eating. The chinese don't see a problem in eating cat ( although I couldn't knowingly do it). At the end of the day unless you see the actual animal before sent to slaughter you can't be sure of anything . chicken breasts are filled with water ( and maybe other things) to make them look big so people think they are getting a good deal. Have been on pig farms in spain and seen them transported, put me off pork for a long while and even now rarely eat it. Have been to pick up lambs in the aveyron that have come from romania and are then sold as french as they have been on french soil for a certain period of time. They are kept in a shed and do not see the daylight for the majority of their short lives, probably don't even know what a field looks like as they are just there to be fattened up . The ones I collected were lucky as they spent the summer in the mountains. These ones were mainly destined for the arab festival, laida, so no questions asked of origin. Beef if you look at the packets in the supermarket are mainly old milking cows that no longer produce enough milk, not sure about in a butchers. In alenya there used to be a bloke who sold his own cows, son was 13 at the time and saw the cow and calf when hubby was ordering and wouldn't touch the meat when we got it! good meat though.
Personally I would not beable to take an animal to slaughter. Keep threatening my daughter that we are going to eat the 2 rabbits that are running around in the garden because she doesn't bother with them any more, she just laughs as she knows I'd never do it ( hubby might though if he could). At least we would know what we were eating!!
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

A little french girl I know told me about a cockrel that got on her nerves that belonged to one of het grandmas, she said it was annoying because it always woke her really early when she slept over. When I saw her next I asked about the cokrel......she made a sign of slitting her throat! And proceded to tell me it was in a casserole :lol:

The little girl now has a rabbit.....it gets bigger by the week.
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

In the UK close to where I lived there was a big court case over a crowing cock. The complainant being a townie who had moved to the country. Worse than that they complain about the smells and in particular cows and their doo. Where do they think animals come from the supermarket storeroom!!
Dylan
Sue
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sue »

My grandad was a farmer and I used to help with the lambing. Also helped move the sheep and bullocks from one field to another maybe a mile or two away.
Dylan
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

My cockrel tale has been mis understood, It was the little girls acceptance that an animal which one day can be part of your life can another day be your meal. That said, a true family pet, the other grandmas cat, caused her tears and upset for weeks.
Debeneur.
tia
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by tia »

sometimes wish I could be like that little girl as at least I would know what I was eating. I'm way too soft and one look is enough for it not too finish on my plate! I have 2 old horses, who could be ridden but have a cushy life of eating and sleeping and costing me a fortune, brother in law (who is in the horse riding business (sp?) keeps saying just sell them , but I can't as I won't know where they are and I don't want them to finish at the slaughter house. Not sure if it's a good thing to be so soft but that's how I am. I have been in tears each time I have had to have one of my pets put down .
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

blackduff wrote:Jo-Anne
The restaurant in Perpignan is supposed to be Thai food but when I visited the place, it's just a buffet place similar to the others in Perpignan. I gave this a pass, since I was wanting to have Thai food.

This restaurant used to be the Resto Marché place. The food was fairly good and the prices were low. I've eaten there often with a group of ten to fifteen people. The overall prices were cheap. Even better, the service was great. Not sure what happened with them. This is part of a franchise shop so there must be others but who know where.

Blackduff
I agree, the resto marche was a good place to go, service food and prices were all decent. We used to visit one in Montpellier too after hospital visits, this one has also changed, I think it is now Poivron Rouge, same style, simular carte and that particlar branch still has the same chef

just found the link http://www.poivre-rouge.com/ouvrir-restaurant.php
Last edited by opas on Wed 13 Feb 2013 07:34, edited 1 time in total.
Debeneur.
Fibea66
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Fibea66 »

The Shanghai is now open! Lunchtimes & eves I understand. Not tried yet, but I note impressive buffet choice and vast seating area. Tel 04 68 98 88 88. Bon appétit! :D
Seize the day!