Hostal La Masia, Pont de Molins Crta N11

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Hostal La Masia, Pont de Molins Crta N11

Post by Daphne »

Last year we stopped off and had a beer to use their services!!!!It was so old fashioned like the bars in Spain 40 years ago!!!!!!!!!! Recently we have noticed a big improvement in appearance as well as a pizzeria at the end of the restaurant. The car park is usually busy and we decided to stop and look at the menu. It was incredible for 10 euros, 3 courses + wine or water and there were 2 glasses per person of nice smooth wine per menu. I had the menu, my husband had bacalao a la catalana on the carte menu (delicious) My only critisism on the menu were the frozen chips. It is family run, friendly,clean, no frills place to eat, not for fine dining but wonderful for a lunch after a busy morning in Figueras.
Friday night, weekends and bank holidays the menu is 12.20, still great value, must mention also very good size portions!!!!!!
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

We used to use this restaurant a lot on the way to costa brava, around 18 years ago. As you say the back dining room was really old fashioned. The waitors were really friendly, one would even ask our eldest , then aged about 3yrs to dance to the music with him.
The food was always good, as daphne said, not fine dining but well cooked varied menu. At one point they did a buffet salad bar, not sure if this is still the case.
We noticed a couple of weeks ago it announced a pizza bar. We have not eaten at this plave for around 5 years.....so many other restaurants to try! But now may be the time to give it another go.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
opas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by opas »

We went into the costa Brava yesterday and were longer than expected. So discussing what we wanted to eat we decided to visit an old haunt.

we opted for the menu del dia.

because I was not so hungry I opted for melon and ham, but looking at a table of a party of 10 next to me did make me hungry, they were having huge bowls of muscles, salads and pan tomato were a plenty.
Sarah decided on a salad with something :oops: it turned out to be anchovies and she loved it; Ian had ensalata, mixed meat salad.

Mains, I could not decide, I really need to brush up on my Spanish. but stuck to the lighter :roll: option of fish. I chose cazon a la plancha; sarah chose Bacalao * Ian had Rabbit.

a lovely caraf on wine, bottle of water , coffee and desert of chocolate ice cream for me, apple cake for Ian and fromage blanc and honey for sarah

Our meal was lovely, not fine dining but well presented with green beans for the rabbit dish and red and green plancha peppers for the fish dishes.

* can I add here that Ian was so jealous of the fish that sarah had, Bacalao frito, it came in a huge chunk (cod) lightly battered and not at all fatty, as Daphne said the only let down was frozen chips, which I left because I was full from the 3 pieces of Cazon ( dog fish)...incidently I asked for a take away bag because I could not finish my fish and they happily obliged.
10.00e each,
Whilst we were eating I noticed that a chef was making pizza and throwing his dough in the air. Ian asked if they had a menu for that;
you can have a choice of 9 pasta starters and 10 Pizzas a drink of either beer, soft drink, 1/2 L of wine or 1/2 L of water and desert for 9€

So next time we are down there we will give that a go.
-----------------------------------------------
Debeneur.
property management, changeovers, garden maintenance, no job too small. Highchair, travelcot, pram hire.
Daphne
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Daphne »

We had another excellent meal there last Friday and bought snails to bring home which were delicious. In Thuir at one of the traiteurs we pay around 17 euros for half the amount, we paid 11 euros at La Masia and they were better! Can't wait to go back and try something else. I did have melon and ham and expected serrano, to our great surprise it was 'Pata Negra'! How long can they serve this quality and quantity? Also the idea of being able to mix the menu with something from the pizzeria is ideal for children.