New Years eve

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

Andy1

New Years eve

Post by Andy1 »

Has anyone got any resturants to recommend for this years New Year's Eve in or around Perpignan / st Cyprian.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

None. On very limited experience, it's the last evening of the year when you could hope for a decent meal at a sane price. Usually a stereotyped selection of "luxurious" ingredients (smoked salmon, coquilles St Jacques, foie gras) which don't actually cost that much (and require minimal preparation) at an eye-watering price. Served by staff who are doing twice as many covers as usual.

My local favourite (in Port-Vendres) has a €65 offering which looks somewhat less interesting than their normal top menu at €36 (which I wouldn't buy to save my life). But you do get a free glass of champagne.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Allan »

Bah Humbug Martyn!

Of course restaurants charge more on New Year's Eve, not just in France but in all western countries. That doesn't mean that you can't have a good time.

A few years ago we went to L'Horizon at the Hotel Flamands Roses in Canet and had an excellent time. The meal was well paced throughout the evening, the entertainment was good and it was a fun and celebratory evening.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:Bah Humbug Martyn!

Of course restaurants charge more on New Year's Eve, not just in France but in all western countries. That doesn't mean that you can't have a good time.

A few years ago we went to L'Horizon at the Hotel Flamands Roses in Canet and had an excellent time. The meal was well paced throughout the evening, the entertainment was good and it was a fun and celebratory evening.
Time to fess up. The first time I went to one of these does (decades ago), I was dragooned into doing the danse des canards (aka the birdie song): it left psychic scars that still haven't healed.
Kate
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kate »

Haha.
Wish you had it on video! :lol:
Try La Brasserie in St Nazaire near Canet. Someone mentioned it recently as doing a reasonably priced festive din din......but I can't remember if it was Christmas or New Year! :oops:
Santiago
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Santiago »

martyn94 wrote:
Allan wrote:Bah Humbug Martyn!

Time to fess up. The first time I went to one of these does (decades ago), I was dragooned into doing the danse des canards (aka the birdie song): it left psychic scars that still haven't healed.
I too have never been tempted by a Saint Sylvestre menu. Much more fun to splash out on those fancy food and eat them among friends at a house-party. Martyn's comment about the Birdy Song has definitely put the nail in the coffin for me risking a restaurant for New Years Eve. It sounds like being trapped on a tacky cruise ship.
Domaine Treloar - Vineyard and Winery - www.domainetreloar.com - 04 68 95 02 29