Baked beans

Scan the list of restaurants reviewed by members, post new reviews, discuss food topics, post your favourite recipe.....

Moderator: Moderators

martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Baked beans

Post by martyn94 »

Another thread - about UK food in France - reminds me that I have occasionally made proper "Boston baked beans". They are a revelation if you have only had the Heinz sort, and there are a million recipes on the web. You do need one ingredient that I've not seen here, ie molasses (aka treacle) but one tin goes a long way. Against that, the necessary salt pork is much easier here than in the UK. They really are worth a try, and apparently freeze better than you might think, though I've never tried.
Allan
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Baked beans

Post by Allan »

martyn94 wrote:Another thread - about UK food in France - reminds me that I have occasionally made proper "Boston baked beans". They are a revelation if you have only had the Heinz sort, and there are a million recipes on the web. You do need one ingredient that I've not seen here, ie molasses (aka treacle) but one tin goes a long way. Against that, the necessary salt pork is much easier here than in the UK. They really are worth a try, and apparently freeze better than you might think, though I've never tried.
Interesting, i spent a sizeable part of the winter at a hotel in Thailand where the chef made it a point to provide anything that anybody wanted. He lovingly crafted baked beans but guess what, nobody wanted them.

At my suggestion he switched to Heinz and loads of people wanted them.

It isn't always a case of what's best, but more a case of what you are used to.
I don't enjoy cooking that much that I would be bothered to try and create an improvement on something I already enjoy.

I have seen lots of burger bars open that have strived for the perfect burger - better quality meat, superior relishes and accompaniments. They all end up being slaughtered by the local McDonalds.
martyn94
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Baked beans

Post by martyn94 »

Allan wrote:
martyn94 wrote:Another thread - about UK food in France - reminds me that I have occasionally made proper "Boston baked beans". They are a revelation if you have only had the Heinz sort, and there are a million recipes on the web. You do need one ingredient that I've not seen here, ie molasses (aka treacle) but one tin goes a long way. Against that, the necessary salt pork is much easier here than in the UK. They really are worth a try, and apparently freeze better than you might think, though I've never tried.
Interesting, i spent a sizeable part of the winter at a hotel in Thailand where the chef made it a point to provide anything that anybody wanted. He lovingly crafted baked beans but guess what, nobody wanted them.

At my suggestion he switched to Heinz and loads of people wanted them.

It isn't always a case of what's best, but more a case of what you are used to.
I don't enjoy cooking that much that I would be bothered to try and create an improvement on something I already enjoy.

I have seen lots of burger bars open that have strived for the perfect burger - better quality meat, superior relishes and accompaniments. They all end up being slaughtered by the local McDonalds.
There's a whole thread to be written about weird food in Thailand. I was caught up there a few years ago after the Icelandic volcano business shut down long haul flights. Qantas put us up at a hotel which was objectively comfortable, but useless (you have to wonder about hotels that can take 300 new guests at midnight).

Their international lunch buffet included choucroute garnie, in Bangkok, in mid-April, with the aircon on the blink. The Thai food was worse, if that's possible. I did a runner, even at the cost of paying for my own hotel.